The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My parents got 3 floating lotus plants. They are purely floating ones.

This variety has short roots, maybe 2 inches max and doesnt have stems and dont root in the ground i.e. no substrate required. The have big green leaves, max 8 inches diameter.

Do such floating plants release oxygen into the water during daytime and maybe CO2 during the night just like our normal aquatic plants?

I guess my general question is: Do floating leaves release oxygen by day/CO2 by night into the water?

Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I can't say for sure, but there's no reason I can think of for floating plants to do any gas exchange with the water. I know that floaters generally take off growing because it's easier for them to perform gas exchange in the air, where CO2 and O2 will very easily come and go without needing to be exchanged at the surface of the water.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'm not certain, but I think it's kinda doubtful they would affect the water directly. exchanging gasses via the atmosphere is going to be incredibly more efficient and effective.

About the only exception I can think of is some types of emergent plants will pump oxygen down into the roots. Though, the only reason for this is to avoid problems with anaerobic substrates, so if the roots aren't in the substrate, there would be no reason for the plant to do this.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The issue ive had with floating plants is surface area and water movement and lighting. This can indirectly effect O2 in the water column. So if those arent being effected, than you should be okay on O2, but like others said, I dont think there is any benefit to O2 from those plants.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts