The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a floating plant that I can put in my 29 Gallon aquarium? I have to keep a glass lid on the aquarium because my Betta thinks he is a show jumper. The lid has a lot of condensation on it and I am wondering if that will be a problem? I have tried floating water sprite and wisteria but I would like another possibility. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to shade my anubias plant as my nicrew light seems bright.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You're probably going to have problems with floating plants and a lid. The floaters need to stay relatively dry, and the lid will trap moisture against the plants.

You could replace the glass with some screen material, and that would solve the problem. I would do that until the floaters fill in, and they should stop your Betta from jumping.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've kept red root floaters and amazonian frogbit in an aquarium with a glass lid without any issues. The red root floaters were also always flowering as well. If you think long dangling roots would look nice then the amazonion frogbit would be a great option, my fish loved swimming between them. They both need constant removal/thinning, but you can always give them away, sell, compost etc.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've kept red root floaters and amazonian frogbit in an aquarium with a glass lid without any issues. The red root floaters were also always flowering as well. If you think long dangling roots would look nice then the amazonion frogbit would be a great option, my fish loved swimming between them. They both need constant removal/thinning, but you can always give them away, sell, compost etc.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Did you lower the water level of the tank at all to deal with condensation?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a floating plant that I can put in my 29 Gallon aquarium? I have to keep a glass lid on the aquarium because my Betta thinks he is a show jumper. The lid has a lot of condensation on it and I am wondering if that will be a problem? I have tried floating water sprite and wisteria but I would like another possibility. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to shade my anubias plant as my nicrew light seems bright.
Why don't you buy/make a net cover?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're probably going to have problems with floating plants and a lid. The floaters need to stay relatively dry, and the lid will trap moisture against the plants.

You could replace the glass with some screen material, and that would solve the problem. I would do that until the floaters fill in, and they should stop your Betta from jumping.
Thanks. Maybe I can modify my Spec V lid or make a lid out of plastic mesh that I have lying around.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I've had duckweed (not recommended), frogbit, red root floaters, hornworth and water lettuce - all work fine with a lid however the actual floaters (frogbit, red root floater and water lettuce) do require that the current not be too harsh. Strong current will kill them pretty quickly.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have red root floaters, 2 kinds of salvinia, and frogbit under glass lids. My lids aren't wet underneath though. There might be some condensation in the morning, but that goes away once the lights come on. I think frogbit is the most resilient to damage from water on the leaves.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wait, plants with floating leaves can be damaged by water on the leaves? Is this true for Aponogeton?
First let me clarify what the term "floating plants" means to me. They are plants that float at the surface with leaves that are exposed to the air. Those types of plants, despite sitting in the water, generally need their leaves to be dry. Long periods of wetness, in my experience, results in rotting/mould.

Aponogeton isn't a floating plant by my definition.

·
Registered
171 Posts
First let me clarify what the term "floating plants" means to me. They are plants that float at the surface with leaves that are exposed to the air. Those types of plants, despite sitting in the water, generally need their leaves to be dry. Long periods of wetness, in my experience, results in rotting/mould.

Aponogeton isn't a floating plant by my definition.
Hrm, ok.. I was just wondering because my Apono has been getting spots on their floating leaves but otherwise look great, flowering, underwater leaves look thick/healthy. They have root tabs and get liquid ferts weekly, so it's been puzzling me. But they do get splashes/submerged sometimes with maintenance or the 2 small hobs on that tank. Im sure its some deficiency of unobtainium or an imbalance of their organometallic nutriospheres but I havent the chemistry aptitude or initiative to diagnose my problem so I'm just gonna fixate on water splashes and pursue that with laser focus.
:LOL:

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
Wait apongeten is a floating plant I thought it was a bulb plant? Guess I am thinking wrong plant.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
They are a bulb plant that makes underwater leaves and surface floating leaves on a long stalk. Really quite pretty!
It's decided to multi class as a submerged and emersed plant.

I did get a good laugh imagining a bunch of bulbs swirling haplessly on the surface of the water, leaves trailing behind... No, this isn't what I am doing :LOL:

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
They are a bulb plant that makes underwater leaves and surface floating leaves on a long stalk. Really quite pretty!
It's decided to multi class as a submerged and emersed plant.

I did get a good laugh imagining a bunch of bulbs swirling haplessly on the surface of the water, leaves trailing behind... No, this isn't what I am doing :LOL:
"Bulbs swirling haplessly on the surface of the water with leaves trailing behind" sounds like what happens when you put an oscar in a planted tank 😂

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.