The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spitballing, here, is it possible to have a low maintenance tank with only floating plants? I'd imagine a shallower tank, like a breeder, with the surface mostly covered (90%+) with some of the larger floating plants like water lettuce and frogbit, leaving the substrate level of the tank free for whatever silly hardscaping (sandfall even?) you want.

Is this possible? Has anyone tried it before, maybe as a low maintenance blackwater tank?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't see any reason why it would be a problem. Consider that most aquariums don't have any plants at all, the addition of floaters isn't going to cause any issues, it will be beneficial.

The floaters will do a great job of biological filtration and considering the fact that they'll be blocking most of the light they will definitely help with prevent ting algae growth on the hard scape and substrate

·
Registered
852 Posts
sounds like an old school tank....undergravel filter,HOB,hornwort,guppy grass,maybe frogbit.you can even weigh down strands of hornwort with rocks.Most you'll need to do is remove excess plants every week or two.Stock with white clouds,or platys.

very low maintenance that way,as long as you don't overfeed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A pond. That's basically a pond haha! Other than a few bog plants here and there and the rare fully submerged plant that looks good from above, floating plants are the majority of the flora of a pond anyway. I would imagine it would be like looking at a pond from a different angle.

·
Banned
483 Posts
aquaponics

You should do aquaponics. You could also try to reverse plant your acquarium so the plants are growing upside down from the top and the root balls are suspended into the substrate via gravity.

The concept has legs! I'll try it out in a little 10 gallon in a few weeks (maybe as a crawfish tank?) and report back here how it looks. Thanks everyone for the advice!

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I would not put cray/craw fish in a 10, or, really, in any tank. They are very destructive.
If you had a large enough pond so there was plenty of room, lots of places to go, things to destroy, then they MIGHT leave the plants alone. Maybe.

Shrimp would be better in a 10 gallon, if you want something like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.