The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting some duckweed as a RAOK. I was looking into something to block it off and only stay over the front of the tank that isn't planted. I'm thinking about a long piece of drilled plastic with suction cups on each side running side to side. Or some sort of transparent screen or mesh. Anyone built or used something like this? Would love some insight/ideas. Tank is 4 feet long across the front and I'd like it to be one piece.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

·
Planted Tanker
5,980 Posts
Simple fishing line might work. It shouldnt take much to keep the plants in one area.

One or two pieces tied to suction cups at both ends, at or just below the surface. With the right kind of hook (on the suction cup) could maybe space out two runs ~ 1/2" apart.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like that idea. The fishing line should do a good job. Thanks man.

I have a HOB filter that dumps just under the surface. There's some but not a lot of movement on the surface but a pretty strong current in the tank. Has the filter and a power head on the opposite side of the tank.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Make a circle out of airline tubing. Use a 1/2" piece of rigid as the splice to hold it in a circle

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ended up using the air tubing but decided to just let it go. I really like the way the tanks looks with the roots hanging all over the tank. Just going to keep scooping it out to keep the layer thin. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yup just scoop it out, dry it, and add it to your fish's flake food, duckweed is a good source of non-animal protein and vitamins.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've angled my power head towards the surface a bit more. Does a pretty good job of keeping it to one side. Also used some plastic bottles cut in half to break up the filter's flow and dump sideways. Its hold a thick carpet on the 1\3 that's not planted and just a few random floaters above the planted side of the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts