The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that my micro fertilizer (CSM+B) has particles floating around in it. I used distilled water in the solution and I keep them in a dark cabinet. Is this normal?
Hand Reed instrument Wind instrument Wood Woodwind instrument

Musical instrument Musician Reed instrument Reed Wood

Musical instrument Reed Reed instrument Musician Music

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I can't see the particles that you're talking about in the photos, but it's more than likely mold. The Micro mix that we use will grow mold in just a few weeks. It's harmless, but still unsightly.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I don't even bother premixing in water. I just take the amount I need for the tank mix it in a cup and dump it in.
A lot of people (myself included) who mix their own micros premix into distilled water to make dosing easier and more consistent. Measuring .00002g of something every other day is tedious...

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
I have this sometimes growing in my mix after a month. As others have said its most likely mold and harmless. Using some excel in your solution will help prevent this but it always shows up after awhile.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
A lot of people (myself included) who mix their own micros premix into distilled water to make dosing easier and more consistent. Measuring .00002g of something every other day is tedious...
Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just stating what I do. A spoon is more then efficient for me. It's not a perfect science to me where you need a scale. Plants, uptake, displacement, water change differences, fish load, testing kit errors, etc. makes it so IMO.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have this sometimes growing in my mix after a month. As others have said its most likely mold and harmless. Using some excel in your solution will help prevent this but it always shows up after awhile.
I add a little Acetic Acid to drop the pH to around 5ish. That stops it in its tracks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just stating what I do. A spoon is more then efficient for me. It's not a perfect science to me where you need a scale. Plants, uptake, displacement, water change differences, fish load, testing kit errors, etc. makes it so IMO.
OP wants to dose ei, so precision is not needed.

·
Super Moderator
12,114 Posts
As mentioned, what you're seeing is a bit of mold. Adding Flourish Excel (glutaraldehyde), citric acid, or even a bit of hydrochloric acid (be careful!) will slow down/prevent mold formation (through preservative/lowering pH, respectively).

You could also store it in the fridge to slow down mold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts