The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I planted HC a while back, then had a bad case of string/hair algae. A lot of the HC got uprooted and is now acting like a floating plant. It's doing great as a floating plant, except that in about a week and a half it covers the whole top of the tank and I have to get rid of most of it.

Is there a way to get it to re-root to the substrate? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Do its re-rooting emersed in a dry start tank. You could also try attaching it to rock wool, then planting plugs of it.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
54 Posts
if its already acclimated to growing submersed then maybe keeping it in the tank is the quickest way, instead of doing the above mentioned emersed growing. just a thought. i wonder if putting a netting on a rock like people do with riccia/moss would work?

·
Registered
206 Posts
If it's floating it will be emersed already, and has likely developed the xylem to go with it. If you immerse it, you'll cause it to melt and then re-grow, which is just ugly considering how hard it is to get free floating HC to attach in an immersed setting anyhow.

-Philosophos

·
Registered
97 Posts
Go to your local Beauty Salon and buy a pack of hair pins, they do great at holding down HC, trust me it's the best thing you ever could use, works like a charm...or you could ask your girl friend for some:red_mouth.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Would've been sweet if you actually got a duckweed carpet. I think I tried it one time and since leaves develop first, then roots, it could not genetically perform this function.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts