The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've finally ran into my first algae problem..well I *think* this is algae. Anyways it's a simple clover looking lilipad that floats on the top of the surface and muliply quickly. If I leave the tank untouched for about 5 days the entire surface of the water is covered in mini clovers and blocking out a lot of light for the plants below.
What the heck are these things? I'm really really getting tired of scooping them out constantly.
I have pressurized C02 and keep the tank at about 40ppm.
I dose regularly and also dose excel every few days.

·
Registered
423 Posts
sounds like duckweed. Are they light green/yellowish, usually have 2 "petals" with a stem hanging down below? If so, duckweed.

hahaha, it almost is like an algae. Can be a pest.

·
Registered
754 Posts
yep I'll second duckweed.

It's a pest most of us scoop it out of the tank weekly.

I will say tho that when I've had streaks of laziness(not fertalizing, not keeping up with DIY CO2, etc.) i think the duckweed helps prevent algae b/c it blocks light and takes up excess nutrients that would otherwise be taken advantage of by a host of much more troublesome algae-s.

cheers-K

·
Registered
987 Posts
Duckweed is very easy to get rid of. I had it growing in a salamander paladarium setup and when I got tired of it I just removed it. It can grow back from pretty small pieces but its nothing to worry about at all.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When Katrina hit New Orleans, I was forced to be gone 40 days. When I got back, I was surprised to find nearly all my fish and plants were OK. The one exception was the duckweed - it had all died! Even a terrible disaster like that had a bright side, albeit very small.

·
Registered
600 Posts
When Katrina hit New Orleans, I was forced to be gone 40 days. When I got back, I was surprised to find nearly all my fish and plants were OK. The one exception was the duckweed - it had all died! Even a terrible disaster like that had a bright side, albeit very small.
they survived because they ate the duckweed :D

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i'll keep that in mind next time i have a duckweed problem. :icon_cool

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well good to know it's not very harmful to the tank and better to know it'll take care of algae! I had a hair algae problem for a bit but now it's gone away. :)
I guess I'll live with it and just scoop out some of it once every few days...no big deal I guess. :) Thanks everyone!

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Is THAT what I need to do to get rid of mine? :icon_lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.