The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a new substrate for me, but I'm starting to wonder if I've gotten a bad batch or something... :confused:

After/during filling a new tank last night, I have a layer of AS floating on top. I don't just mean a few bits or some which is being held up by surface tension -- it's like 1/4" thick. Doesn't sink when agitated or pushed under water. Still floating after being in the filled tank overnight with the filters running and spray bars aimed towards the surface...

Additionally, the water is a murky, "green tea" color and smells bad (like a stagnant pond). Although, I gather these last two are not unheard of complaints about AS.

I filled quite slowly with a small dish covering the substrate where the water was flowing in so as to minimize substrate disturbance.

Any thoughts? I'm going to try a diatom filter tonight to try to clean up the water color/turbidity. Kind of at a loss about what to do about the odor and floating AS, though.

Thanks.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Where did you get your AS? call the company or store & tell them your problem. I have used 4 bags but did not have this problem.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I think it's a bad bag too.....1/4" ???? or are you exaggerating?

I get bits and chunks but nothing close to a layer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely a layer in the 1/4" range. 9L bags of regular-type Amazonia that were purchased from ADGshop a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, think I'll have to. Something is really wrong. Got home and took a pH reading. It's off my test kit's range, which is to say below 5.6... My tap water is almost exactly 7.0 after 24 hours of out/in-gassing.

Thanks for the replies,
- Aaron

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
my ph dropped under 6.0 when I started it up with aquasoil. I also had some chunks that were floating (not too much, but a little bit), but most of them sunk after getting completely soaked, or if I pushed them under with a finger. You should definately call though. Your's sounds a lot worse than it should have been.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had some debris floating on the surface and some on the substrate after setting up with AS a few weeks ago. Not 1/4 inch though. My pH did drop from 7.8 to 5.6 or something like that within a couple of days, so that's not a surprise. Your ammonia is probably unbelievably high right now too. How many 9L bags did you add?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts