The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In regards to the common floaters available (frogbit, red root, water lettuce, ??) Is the length of roots in general going to be based on the level of nutrients available? Or do any stay shorter not matter what?

I have two tanks with frogbit in them, these tanks both happen to be low tech with maybe once a week ferts. My nano in particular is not very deep and the roots tend to get wrapped and tangled around the tops of submerged plants. I guess I'm wondering if something else would have short roots or I need to dose more so the roots don't branch out in search of the nutrients?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I have salvinia minima in my tank now and it's spreading nicely, but the roots definitely stay short. Give it a try. I had frogbit before but it spread too quick and hung too low, blocked too much light. I'm loving the salvinia minima.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks for the reply. I'll have to try find someone with some. I was thinking that Salvinia minima stay shorter but wasn't sure. I like frogbit, but the roots get to stringy in some cases.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Salvia minima is great. Roots get some length, but nothing close to frogbit. It's relatively easy to control I've found. I'm scooping the stuff out of my tanks weekly. If you can't find it locally, I'd be happy to send you some, assuming it's legal to ship where you are.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
I think root length is mostly determined by the species of plant you have, but may also be slightly modifiable.

More nutrients = less root mass because the plants can put less into the roots and get by. Might not be much of a difference though and may also depend on the type of nutrient you are adding. I haven't read any articles on root length specifically so this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had looked at countless google images when I was deciding on what floater I wanted. I went with salvinia and haven't been disappointed. Nice consistent root length that isn't long at all and it covers a tank in a surprisingly short amount of time. Also much easier to get rid of than duckweed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.