The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Lettuce + HC + Hm + Riccia
.. + Duckweed..

No one wanted them so they're outside drying.
All their stems are 8inch +

Anyone have it worse or just the same?

·
Registered
187 Posts
all my floaters die.... I have yet to see any tank filled with floaters even though I add em to all tanks. Duckweed.. watter lettuce... riccia

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awe man, toobad mine are dead by now or I would of shipped them all to you.

They get quite annoying when you have to net shrimp..

Also they shade everything else.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I've had duckweed grow so dense before that it was growing on top of itself to the point of creating a one-inch thick mat on the surface.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
Ah yes, Duckweed is the bane of many aquarists :D

I believe there was a thread from ages ago talking about how some guy tried to flush his Duckweed down the toilet (bad for the environment!) and it ended up clogging his toilet. It then backed up into his shower drain, so while he (or she) was showering, the Duckweed came back up out of the shower drain :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ah, all my duckweed are dying! low light or high light... fert or no fert! I can grow many other plant perfectly though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I believe there was a thread from ages ago talking about how some guy tried to flush his Duckweed down the toilet (bad for the environment!) and it ended up clogging his toilet. It then backed up into his shower drain, so while he (or she) was showering, the Duckweed came back up out of the shower drain :D
Wouldn't cleaning chemicals kill all the duckweed?
esp Draino? :p

LND: I think duckweed lives off nitrate..

·
Registered
7,228 Posts

Wait, you mean duckweed hasn't taken over your bathroom and room where the tank is kept? I have dry duckweed everywhere since I will do something in my tank then wipe my arm off with a towel, throw it over the chair, it dries and falls off when I pick the towel back up... I do a WC or clean the filter or wash out a net and DW gets in my sink, or shower, or toilet..

The list is endless...

One summer I'd been doing water-changes and syphoning the water down the gutter, and my gutter clogged and duckweed was growing in it all summer...

Blah!

-Andrew

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
don't forget Wolffia globosa.

it's eaten in SE asia. Very nutritious I hear.
You know, I've always wondered if Duck Weed would solve world hunger...

I've also always wondered if I could substitute ground Duckweed for wolffia in a wolffia muffin recipe I once found (would have to look for it, it was linked to by someone in the duckweed from hell thread though) If I ever went to a plant swap I would bring them and feed them to the participants then let them all know a few days later what was in them.

Muahahaha

-Andrew

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
...it was linked to by someone in the duckweed from hell thread though
Ah yes, I remember reading that thread too! I think the story I had was from there :D

@ mistergreen: Is that Wolffia on a slice of apple pie :icon_conf

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wait, you mean duckweed hasn't taken over your bathroom and room where the tank is kept? I have dry duckweed everywhere since I will do something in my tank then wipe my arm off with a towel, throw it over the chair, it dries and falls off when I pick the towel back up... I do a WC or clean the filter or wash out a net and DW gets in my sink, or shower, or toilet..

The list is endless...

One summer I'd been doing water-changes and syphoning the water down the gutter, and my gutter clogged and duckweed was growing in it all summer...

Blah!

-Andrew
+2

Duckweed is everwhere, ontop of my desk, stuck all over my nets, all around the bathroom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts