The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big frogbit fan and I know, from experience, that it can handle some surface agitation and current. More than red root floaters for example. I think my current setup may be too strong though. I have a single return that shoots water 4' to the other side of my 55g.

What would be your floater of choice for my tank? I have something in there I've never had before and it is doing alright. Not excellent though. If nothing else, I'll try some more frogbit.

Duckweed is not an option FYI. I have an overflow and it would clog the screen or get into the filter.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I had no luck with the last batch of DWARF water lettuce I received, but the regular stuff may be my ticket! Good suggestion I had not thought of.

They're both the same plant actually, Pistia stratiotes. It just gets smaller or 'dwarf' in aquariums because of the aquarium environement. But, I would suggest giving it a go. I had success with it with reasonably high flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts

Hygroyza aristata, grows OK in current though better in still water.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
This "Hygroyza aristata" stuff looks amazing! Where did you get it from may I ask and how would I go about getting some? Is it local to California?

Freemania; my experience has been that, if given enough light and nutrients, pistia will likely grow fast enough to have some presence in the tank despite any amount of flow. Also, if you already have some form of floater in the tank, the smaller pistia's especially will probably get stuck between the leaves of the other floaters and live on.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Floaters weren't really made for current. In nature, they would never be able to get back upstream, they would be crushed on the way down bashing on rocks, then they would be swept out to sea.

However . . . hornwort might be your best bet.

Either way, good luck!
:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.