The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trading some plants for fish and I thought this was dwarf water lettuce. But after I pulled it out of my cold water tank and put it in my tropical tank it looks different. Maybe I have two different floaters? Or they just look different in cold vs warm? I am not so sure now. Please help ID so I can tell the person the right plant. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
A picture could sure help.

Water lettuce is Pistia stratiotes, there is only one species. It will grow larger in an open, brighter setting, such as a pond in the sun compared to the flat-leafed growth habit when it is young or stressed for lack of light.

A group of plants that may look similar is the genus Salvinia, several species, but Salvinia have smaller leaves and the hair on the leaves looks different.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Having difficulty uploading pic, give me a minute
You can use a image hosting website and provide the link, or you can simply drag and drop an image from your pictures into the "Drag and Drop File Upload" that is located below the reply box.

EDIT: Heh, just saw you figured it out just before I posted.

Yeah, that is Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes). As Diana mention, "regular" water lettuce and "dwarf" water lettuce are the same plant, just grow/look different under different growing conditions.

http://www.plantsrescue.com/tag/water-lettuce/

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I bought water lettuce from a pond supply store that was very large leafed but after being in my tank for months it turned into the small leaf like your picture. Not enough nutrients and light in our aquariums to support the large size.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.