The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my Sarasa Comets has been having swim bladder issues. I have placed them in a medbay tank for some days now and they have stopped floating to the surface, but now they are just sinking to the bottom. Last night thinking they were better I released them back into my main tank and they were not doing so well. They are constantly erratically swimming then sinking back down to the bottom. The fish has also refused to eat for the past week or so, what should I do to help them?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Need a lot more information to find out what is going on.

What size tank are they in?
What size are the comets?
What other fish in tank?
Temperature?
Water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrAte?

What do you feed? How often?

Any deaths in tank in last 6 weeks?
Added any fish or plants in last 6 weeks?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need a lot more information to find out what is going on.

What size tank are they in?
What size are the comets?
What other fish in tank?
Temperature?
Water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrAte?

What do you feed? How often?

Any deaths in tank in last 6 weeks?
Added any fish or plants in last 6 weeks?
The fish are all in a 90 gal.
The one that is having trouble is about 6-7 inches.
There are two other large comets, 2 small orandas, 2 plecos, 5 glass catfish, 3 leopard synodontis catfish, and a single small angelfish.
The temperature is at 77 degrees.
There was an increase in nitrAte but I am getting that to go down, I do not know how to check ammonia.
I feed soaked flakes in the morning and sinking pellets at night, the plecos get wafers at night.
there have been no deaths within the last 6 weeks.
The 2 orandas, angel, and some plants are new additions, within the last 10 days.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
How long has this tank been set up?
To test ammonia levels you would need a test kit. API makes a reliable one. Can purchase at local fish store or on Amazon.
You added quite a bit of bio-load to your tank within the last 2 weeks- it may have overwhelmed the biofilter and caused an ammonia spike. This would be consistent with the symptoms seen in comets. internal bacterial infection- which often presents as bladder issues- is common symptom from water quality issues.
In this case it wouldnt be from the nitrate levels- too soon to make an impact- but, ammonia toxicity could definitely be at work here.

Do you plan on putting these fish in a pond come Spring? They grow to 14 inches and are more suitable to ponds or tanks of at least 180 gallons.

The temperature is also much too high for comets. Please read this link of care:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long has this tank been set up?
To test ammonia levels you would need a test kit. API makes a reliable one. Can purchase at local fish store or on Amazon.
You added quite a bit of bio-load to your tank within the last 2 weeks- it may have overwhelmed the biofilter and caused an ammonia spike. This would be consistent with the symptoms seen in comets. internal bacterial infection- which often presents as bladder issues- is common symptom from water quality issues.
In this case it wouldnt be from the nitrate levels- too soon to make an impact- but, ammonia toxicity could definitely be at work here.

Do you plan on putting these fish in a pond come Spring? They grow to 14 inches and are more suitable to ponds or tanks of at least 180 gallons.

The temperature is also much too high for comets. Please read this link of care:

Oh I will have to buy some test strips soon then. And yes I do plan on moving the comets to a pond as they grow. I will also decrease the temperature. Should I be keeping the problem comet in the medbay tank or move them back into the main tank? Whenever he is in the main tank he tends to freak out more so I didn't want to stress him out more

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Oh I will have to buy some test strips soon then. And yes I do plan on moving the comets to a pond as they grow. I will also decrease the temperature. Should I be keeping the problem comet in the medbay tank or move them back into the main tank? Whenever he is in the main tank he tends to freak out more so I didn't want to stress him out more
Leave in med tank. Lower temp to around 68-70 degrees- slowly.
Treat with epsom salt to make sure there is no obstruction in gut and will help reduce inflammation. Use 1/4 tsp per gallon for 3 days.
Do daily water changes in med tank if not cycled to ensure no ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Volume and frequency depend on size of tank.

Do you see that the fish is having any difficulty breathing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leave in med tank. Lower temp to around 68-70 degrees- slowly.
Treat with epsom salt to make sure there is no obstruction in gut and will help reduce inflammation. Use 1/4 tsp per gallon for 3 days.
Do daily water changes in med tank if not cycled to ensure no ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Volume and frequency depend on size of tank.

Do you see that the fish is having any difficulty breathing?
The fish sometimes breathes harder than usual. It will normally lay on its side or on its stomach. I've been doing epsom salt treatments a little because I never figured out the correct amount to add. How much water should I be changing out daily?

The medbay tank is a 20 gal as well

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.