The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been conducting a mini experiment with my own tanks this month to find out if MY shrimps really need to be acclimated. All of this started when I read this thread on TPT. This thread got me thinking. I'm the type of person that is not afraid to try new things, so who knows I might find a better way for me. You never know if you don't try. Read this thread first.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/138624-otto-insta-kill.html

Question: How many of you have lost shrimp after a few days despite your best efforts at drip acclimation? I know I have. The shrimps were probably poisoned already from the build up in the bag.

Test subjects: 100+ TTs, 100+ RCS, ~50 OEBT, and a few Black Tigers.

Test: In the last month, I have broken down my old TT tank, broken down my RCS tank, temporarily moved my OEBT for a few days when I was nuking my OEBT tank. During the movement of 200+ shrimps, I tried the plop and drop/bomb acclimation method. How many shrimps did I lose during this period? ZERO...zilch nada....

If you think about nature where these shrimps are from, most of them originated from creeks in Southern China. It rains a lot there. There is a video somewhere of the Bee shrimp habitat. They tested the water and some areas came back with zero conductivity. Pure Rain water. What if I simulated the same scenario during their moves?

During my move I first measured the TDS of my source tank. I did a quick WC to lower my TDS by 10 to 20 ppm in my target tank compared to my source tank. Let both tanks drop to room temp then net the shrimps and dropped them immediately into the target tank. Moving 200+ shrimps this way resulted in zero deaths.

Conclusion: I think this works for me because the target tank had BETTER water than the source tank. It just had a WC and it is more like pure water. What is the difference with this simulation compared to say a few days of heavy rains in mother nature? If shrimps can handle a rainy season in real life they can and probably are happier if they instantly find them self in more pure water versus prolong time in nasty water.

Receiving Shrimp in the Mail: When your shrimps arrive in that little Kordon bag in the mail, that water is at least 24 - 48 hours old. Test the TDS if you can. Every bag that I've received has a higher TDS than their final home, because of build of of waste during transport. Who knows what else built up in the bag. If you can get your water better than the bag water the chances of the shrimp surviving are pretty good. IMO.

Now there are situation where this would not work. Are you injecting CO2 in the target tank? If the shrimps are used to a non-CO2 environment and you drop them into a high CO2 environment that might kill the shrimps no matter how pure your water is. However, if you're using a sponge filter or airstone and the O2 level is higher in the target than the source tank/bag the shrimps will more than likely be OK.

Everyone will do what they are comfortable with. I am just reporting back my findings of my little experiment.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for sharing your experience in the other thread Ms. Jinkzd. You got me started thinking about this.

This also kind of validates the school of thought that there is no such thing as PH shock.

Here was the PH of my source tanks:

Source TT: 7.8
Source OEBT: 6.8
Source RCS: Didn't measure who cares. RCS are unkillable.

Target Tank: 6.2

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Received a shipment of 37 CRS in two small Kordon bags this week.
USPS had them for 7 days! Arrived with all appearing to be swimming or clinging to the moss they were sent with. Bomb acclimating these shrimp was simply placing the kordon bags in a small bowl unopened and floating the bowl for 20 minutes to allow the temp to settle. Then cut the bags and plop and dropped them into the QT. Lost were only 3 shrimp after 72hrs. Luv a USPS foobar and bulletproof critters.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
The real question lies here: Would you be willing to Bomb Acclimate 10 newly arrived and alive Black King Kong shrimp into your tank? hahaha That's kinda scary but if you say it works bro, I'll trust you. :p Though I'd probably still drip em.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the anwser is depends on source water vs target water. Not all source water are created equal.

Example: I bought 50 OEBT from DK a while back. Her shrimps arrived with TDS in the low 100s and I drippped acclimated that batch over a period of 10 hours and they all survived. The source water in the bag was fine so no damage was done.

The recent shippent of Black Tigers had one DOA in the bag. That batch got bombed.

BKK? When I can afford ten...I would have no problem bombing them. I'd probably find out what the source tank parameter are and test the bag water. If the TDS is higher they are getting bombed. If it is near my water then I don't know if either way matters.

However, I am confident in my water. I use RO so I know exactly what is going in there. The probability of my water being better than the bag water is high.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I like this idea, and it seems to have worked well for you. As speedie said though, I wouldn't try it out on expensive shrimp... Good thing this worked for your black tigers! lol

I gotta say, kudos to you for taking a chance on something. You should try to find out a definite reason why this works so well. :)

Me though, I'm sticking with drip acclimation because it's served me well in the past... never lost a shrimp, not even a Blue Bolt, from drip. Here are some of the advantages:

1) Shrimp are easily stressed from travel, letting them drip for a few hours lets them take time to get acquainted with new params.
2) The bacteria going from one tank to another might be vastly different, and it might affect their immune systems/get them sick
3) You have the benefit of several hours to observe any sick shrimp behavior, so you can quarantine them and not risk getting the rest of your shrimp sick
4) All changes in water are gradual, so no risk of them getting shocked

But I have done bomb acclimation with rcs and all were fine.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
The whole thing doesn't end with matching source or coming in under that TDS.
Shipped the primary issue effecting survival is how you handle the toxic soup shipping water ultimately is. Worse when you open the bag, add air and raise the pH then ammonia present in the bag burns whats in it while you drip. Prime thickens the water and holds a hazard in that respect.

Drip acclimation of an animal in an ammonia puddle is a whoops too.

·
Registered
572 Posts
FWIW... I received 6 pinoy phillipine blue angels juvies from AngelfishUSA yesterday in the mail. They came with a pamphlet detailing how to acclimate them... They even go so far as to say turn off the tank lights and the lights in the room before you open the box!! Then they outline a drip process, or slow addition of water to the bag every 15 by the half cup. They say not to feed them for 24 hours, etc, etc.

I floated them for 15 mins, doubled the volume of water in the bag with my tank water and then scooped them out and released them into the tank. They immediately began exploring around the tank at all levels. Picking at the gravel for leftover food, coming up to the glass when I got near the tank. If you didnt know they had come in the mail that day you would have thought I had raised them in that tank.

I will say that I didn't pour any of the water in the bag in my tank (it was bluish in color... I believe AngelfishUSA uses Bag Buddies additive when shipping). But definately didnt spend hours drip acclimating them. Although I have always had good luck with angels, some folks will tell you the phillipine blue angels shock easily and are not as hardy as regular angels. In this case, bomb acclimation worked fine.

I know the thread is regarding shrimp, but since I recently tried bomb acclimating, I thought I'd share.

J

·
Premium Member
7,992 Posts
lol, amen. I have floated cherries, blue bees, tigers and CRS before dumping them in. I used to take a lot of care to drip for a long time, but have gotten severely lazy. But to be honest, I still drip shrimp that are expensive. I always put a drop of prime in the bag water before dripping though.

And someone mentioned oxygen flooding in when opening the bag earlier, which may be true for shrimp bagged with air, but in a kordon bag, the oxygen content is already decent. I've never had a shrimp die while dripping, but have while bombing, but it all has a lot to do with the hardest part of the process, which is the journey from the breeders tank to yours. The acclimation is the shortest and least stressful part of that journey.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Just to add to this. As discussed in a previous thread I too had bomb dropped two bags of CRS from two different sources and from what I can tell didnt lose any. Hard to tell though as its hard to count them all at once. At the very worst I lost maybe 2-3, more than likely due to stress from adjusting my water and getting everything right.

But anyway it works for me. Also I read somewhere (and take it with a grain of salt) if you add shrimp from a high TDS source into a low they have issues with adapting. However if they come from a low TDS source into a high it doesnt affect them much. Again I forgot where I read that and not sure if its true.

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is true with cell that have a semipermeable membrane. I'm having this same discussion with Imke on SN. What we don't know is if the exoskeleton of the shrimp which is made of Chitin works like a typical cell membrane. Shellfish can withstand tremendous changes in water pressure because they are in essence encased in armor. (Think Deadliest Catch) How the shell regulates the osmotic pressure could be the key to the answer that we are looking for.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.