The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I buy soft flexible tubing similar to what is used on Python water changers? I purchased a Sun Sun filter and although the unit itself seems ok the tubing is kinda stiff, even after I put it in warm water. The intake and spray bars seem kinda crappy also.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
You can buy flexible PVC tubing at Home Depot. Just find the right diameter (OD and ID).

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked Home Depot and the ones they had were very stiff. The stuff Python uses is really soft and bendable.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Tygon works great but its a little pricey, basically the same type of tubing that rena uses with their xp cannisters. I personally like the Lee's brand pond tubing for a cheaper alternative. It's the black one. A lot more flexible than the clear stuff from home depot or even the lee's clear tubing. The small dieameter stuff doesn't kink. I've only used the 1.5" a couple times and that stuff kinked but it was more to do with the fact that the roll was almost done and I got the stuff that was already compressed. Any non big box lfs should carry that pond tubing.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I bought Tetra 3/4" and 1" pond hose at Lowes thinking the same thing when I redid my canister and plumbed the CO2 reactor system. Mistake! The sch.80 barbs are too big for it and you REALLY have to work to get that stuff together. THEN, the cracks began. The spiral part of the hose is tough as nails. The membrane thin plastic between the spirals got brittle and then just normal moving it around and wham, splitsville!

I redid it AGAIN with Lowes vinyl hose. I don't know about Tygon-soft, but it's plenty flexible for my use. If you get it TOO flexible it kinks!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I've used tygon in the lab, and I've found stashes years (decades?) old that are still soft, flexible, and new-feeling.

Vinyl tubing seems to harden with age/use.

I've never bought tygon, so I've no clue where to get it or how expensive it is. Standard Vinyl tubing can be found at most hardware stores.

It might be worth looking into silicone tubing, I've seen some for sale in auto shops, and it's going to be more expensive, but should stay soft/flexible longer, and be more chemically/heat resistant (not really a concern for us, but...)

·
Registered
816 Posts
My local hardware store sells tubing, BUT

My Sun Sun filters tubing was also very stiff and very hard to maneuver, so I boiled it for a few minutes in a pot, and it was super easy to set up after that, and once cooled down it has stayed in that position and not given me any trouble at all. I suggest you try that. Just curl it up, put in pot, and boil for about 5 minutes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts