The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share this image I took of a flatworm in my shrimp tank. Ever since I took my Betta out of the tank all sorts of critters have shown up out of nowhere. These guys have increased in population by a significant amount in the last week (either that or come out of hiding).

At first I was worried they were planaria as I couldn't make out any detail due to their tiny size. They are about 2 mm in length at full size and 1/2 mm in width. But once I took some macro shots I could see they don't have the triangular head or eye spots, so they shouldn't pose a threat to my shrimp.

So just fyi boys and girls, there are some flatworms that live in aquariums that aren't planaria. I think flatworms get mass labeled as planaria pretty frequently and people may nuke their tank when its not necessary.

I thought the little dudes are cool atleast :icon_mrgr

Reactions: Teebo

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I get flatworms even in my tanks with no livestock, not sure how they get there.. Even have them in brand new tanks with just aquasoil no plants or shrimp.. Show up about 10-14 days into cycling, i used to confuse them for planaria too, thanks for the post.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heres a couple more pictures to help people easier identify these guys in their tank without using a magnifying glass or macro photography.

Reactions: anjampie

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are rhabdocoela. OFTEN mistaken for planaria and they aren't affected by meds used on planaria. They are harmless.
Glad someone confirmed the name. I had seen that name in a google search last week, but forgot to bookmark the page and couldn't find it again. :proud:

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
hmm I feel like there might be a relation to this flatworms and amazonia... I have the same thing.

Nope, they come from overfeeding mainly, sometimes they show up even when you don't feed the tank. They are in all my tanks, inert pea gravel, FSS, Up Aqua, doesn't matter. Has no correlation with substrate at all IME.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
definitely water.. ever play "spore" the video game? life is created all in water till the flatworm sprouts legs and crafts a spear to destroy your village haha.
:icon_lol:

Yea my substrate is inert Petco sand. They either came on plants or in the water.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.