The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum and the only flatworms are white. Mine me are dark brown. I’m wondering if they are eating my snails. I used to have very dark pond snails. Then brought some plants home from a local pond and in ignorance, didn’t sterilize or quarantine. There were a few very light brown pond snails with spotted shells. They looked cool so I kept them. Now the wild snails are all that’s left. All my very dark snails are gone😩 And the light brown snails often sit just above the waterline.
today I scooped out a ton of duckweed, put it in a clear tub of water to make sure no shrimplets were attached. These flatworms and some scuds came out of the thick layer of duckweed. Can anyone identify them? Even on Google, the only flatworm images are light colored.
PraziPro does not harm them. I have video but not sure how to load or attach.

Water Liquid Fluid Fish Water bird

Water Liquid Fluid Fish Beak

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are no larger than a half centimeter. I suspect they are eating my snails, which I don’t really mind except I feel bad for the helpless snails.
But can they also eat my shrimp?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Leech

Reactions: kfish

·
Super Moderator
16,065 Posts
They are no larger than a half centimeter. I suspect they are eating my snails, which I don’t really mind except I feel bad for the helpless snails.
But can they also eat my shrimp?
Shrimp are pretty quick, so it'd be difficult to catch one.

Just remove them when you see them. If your tank isn't completely overrun with them, you don't have a ton to worry about.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Chris Lukhaup had different colored tanks set up... and each tank was infested with planaria. Somehow, the planaria each ended up being the same color as the shrimp....

I have never seen planaria change to the color of the shrimp before... but I do know they can come in different colors! Since there are multiple species of planaria...

Agree though, likely leech.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts