The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw a few the other night. i dont really thing they are planaria as no triangle head and no eyes. not quite sure where they came from cause i have not had anything new in the tank in almost 2 months. are all flat worms a prob or just some? there is no live stock in the tank right now so no food for them. there are a couple of snailes but that is it. what are your thoughts on this

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Maybe it hitched from the substrate or your plants? I have reused old substrate which used to have small worms of some sort, and the new tank it went in also had the small nuisance. The tank currently has no plants or any livestock. My old substrate had been dried under the sun and then stored in a dry cool place for over 6 months.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brand new substrate and i have not seen them in any tank i got the plants from. tank has been up and going since 1/6/14. all the plants are from other tanks i had so nothing new in just different tank. if i see something in one i treat all cause i tend to move plants from one tank to another. my substrate is ada amazonia fresh from cali never before used. i really dont think they will cause a prob just not sure how they got there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
How do the worms move? Do they glide across the surface/glass or do they inch? If they glide across, they are probably planaria. There are many different kinds out there. If they inch across like a slinky, it's probably a leech. We always wonder where these things come from, but introduction could have been very early on when we received our plants and weren't too careful about sterilizing/quarantining them. Down the line, they could pop up when you move the plants or reuse anything from an old tank, including the filter.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
water is ro no remineralzer for top off, ro and ss GH+ for water changes.

they are tiney maybe 1/8 inch clearish white, and glide.

thanks for the input all. i shall leave them be till something else pops up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts