The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just got in two cups of Flame Moss that I'd like to attach to a driftwood "stump". I thought I'd read somewhere that glue can kill flame moss. Is that true? If so how should I attach this to the wood? Also this moss seems to grow up and now out. Do I just take the trimmings to spread out this patch of moss?

Thanks!

This is a temporary odds and ends tank in my basement until I can get my fish room established down here. The java moss on the wood pretty much died as I was trying to soak the wood. It was too cold, too dark, too long in the tub I used to soak it. So I got the flame moss on sale to take it's place. This tank has good flow and CO2.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If possible, I'd just take the stump out and tie the moss to the stump using fishing line. It'll keep it in place until the moss roots to the stump, and there's no need to remove it as the moss will just grow over it. If you can't or don't want to take the stump out, I'd use plastic zip ties (because they would likely be easier to secure vs. trying to tie knots in the fishing line with wet hands in the tank). You can just cut the zip ties and remove them after the moss has rooted.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If possible, I'd just take the stump out and tie the moss to the stump using fishing line. It'll keep it in place until the moss roots to the stump, and there's no need to remove it as the moss will just grow over it. If you can't or don't want to take the stump out, I'd use plastic zip ties (because they would likely be easier to secure vs. trying to tie knots in the fishing line with wet hands in the tank). You can just cut the zip ties and remove them after the moss has rooted.
Thanks! I have no problems taking the stump out, though last time I tried fishline I made a complete mess of it. LOL! I think trying to cover the top of the stump might be difficult using line or thread. I may try a layer of nylon luffa over the top and tie that around the base. It will just look ugly until it grows enough.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I found the best way to attach flame moss is to cut it off at the base and spread it thin over a piece of wood or a rock, then keep it emersed and wet in a container for a couple of weeks until the flame moss attaches. At which point I put it in the tank, moss fully attached.

Second best method would be to remove the hardscape and tie it down using biodegradable plant line that breaks down in your tank.

There are aquarium safe super glues you can use to glue it to your wood as well, not my preferred method but nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
440 Posts
As AVN said I like a cotton thread that will hold for the first few weeks until the moss attaches then it can be removed. Gel-type cyanoacrylate super glue works just fine, doesn't kill moss in my experience. The downside is it turns a glaring white underwater that I prefer to avoid, plus it can be hard to remove from your wood if you want to change things up.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As AVN said I like a cotton thread that will hold for the first few weeks until the moss attaches then it can be removed. Gel-type cyanoacrylate super glue works just fine, doesn't kill moss in my experience. The downside is it turns a glaring white underwater that I prefer to avoid, plus it can be hard to remove from your wood if you want to change things up.
I've already got gel glue residue on there from the dead java moss so that wouldn't be a big issue. I was just looking around for some thin cotton mesh, but I don't want to wait for something else to come in from online. I'll most likely have to take the piece out and try to tie with some cotton thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts