The Planted Tank Forum banner

Flame Moss on Stainless Steel Mesh

15K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  golfer_d 
#1 ·
I was wondering if I should be removing the flame moss I just got from the stainless steel mesh that it is growing on.

From what I understand, it should be ok but wanted some opinions if its better to remove or not.

Eventually I might want to put it on some driftwood but I need to find a piece first. Can it be tied to the drift wood while on the mesh?

Appreciate any advice on how to handle it with this mesh.

Cheers!

#2 ·
I have mosses both on stainless steel mesh and driftwood. If u want to transfer the moss from the mesh to driftwood u have to cut loose the thread/plastic or silicon fishing line that's holding the moss in place.
I've see in very few layout's aquascapers have used moss along with mesh placed forcibly between driftwood crevices. But these aquascapers usually have a lot of diff.plants and moss is used to give a certain effect.
Its possible to bend the stainless steel mesh to a desired shape with effort.

I have grown moss on mesh with CO2+good lights (help moss grow quicker) and later cut off the desired quantity and attached to a driftwood.

Round pellia on a stainless steel mesh held in place with a black strechable net.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/enyDiDllxU-91Zsub3j0tcA4Ra27aEbbzN3nEXfptJ4?feat=directlink
And the same round pellia tied on driftwood placed on the right side of the tank.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/OZ-Zp99mILnO96FCEwQvEcA4Ra27aEbbzN3nEXfptJ4?feat=directlink

#3 ·
I also have moss going on both drift wood and mesh. But it's totally up to you of what to want to do. Just like what Ronny said if your mesh can be bent to fit on your drift wood go for it. Either than that your moss should be good when you take if off the mesh.

#4 ·
Thanks!

I am thinking I will just keep it on the mesh for now although I hope it fills out a bit more so I can't see the edges of the mesh.

Would it hurt the moss if I pushed the mesh into the substrate a little bit to try and cover the edges?!

#8 ·
Thanks for the info.

I wasn't sure if I was supposed to trim this kind of moss or not. The middle portion of it is growing taller than the outer edges so I was looking online to see if I could level it off a bit and use the trimmings elsewhere. I guess the trimmings really don't have "roots" and should keep growing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.