The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what plants will a flagfish eat ?

i've seen a few posts on various places that say a flagfish has a tendency towards a herbivore diet, ... then they're strangely quiet about what plants the flagfish will eat

anubias seems to be off the menu, as does java fern.

other plants i've got in my tank ... are either so abundantly plentiful i'm not seeing what the little guy is eating or he's not interested in them, or i'm feeding enough he's got no appetite after he's eaten.

that's a whole bunch of "if's" that i just don't know what's going on.

so i'm looking for plants the little guy would be interested in eating.

plants i have (it always surprises me at how many varieties i have)
-Hygrophila difformus
-anubias nana
-java fern & java fern lace
-Bacopa carolina
-Rotala (dono what species)
-duckweed
-Egeria najas

i'm not noticing any significant damage to any of these plants.

not that i'm lazy or cheap on food, but if i can supplement the flagfishes diet with fresh food instead of processed food, i'd be happy to keep plenty of those plants supplied in the tank

only concerns i have is the flagfish overeating, i have heard that can be an issue. but i'll face that issue when the time comes.

Edit:
damage i am seeing to the Hygrophila i think is more related to nutrient deficiencies (potassium)

·
Registered
435 Posts
I know they will eat spinach and lettuce, as far as what aquatic plants, I would guess duckweed and I know they eat hair algae

·
Registered
545 Posts
they will mow star grass down to the nubs in no time they eat some of my softer crypts and pretty much any moss also the roots of all of my rrf were gone in a few days :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts