The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´m finally getting delivered my tank for the silver dollar dollar tonight. I bought a styrofoam background (Azoo) that resembles a black rock wall. I once had one installed in a 10 gallon tank and it was a problem fixating it because it floats...

Any recomendations on how to fix it to the back of the aquarium to keep it from floating and moving around? On the previous one I just held it place by pressuring it against the top rim, but somehow fish managed to get trapped in the back and I ended with squashed neons :icon_evil

I can fix it from the outside but of course it won´t look nearly as good...

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you cant cut it down to be a really tight fit around all 4 edges so the fish can't get behind it, run a bead of aquarium safe silicone all the way around the back edge. That will hold it in place & ensure that none of your fish can get back in behind it. Just remember to observe the proper curing time for the silicone & that it is aquarium safe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the background from?

I've been looking for a store online that sells 3d backgrounds because I'm not talented enough to make one myself.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I´m in Mexico, got it at a local department store. It´s from Azoo. It cost around 30 bucks (not cheap, but looks great)

·
Registered
29 Posts
How will silicone allow styrofoam to adhere to glass?

I don't understand the question. Isn't that pretty obvious? Silicone sticks one to the other & fills any gap that a small fish might use to get behind the backing.
Is that what you meant?

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
I don't understand the question. Isn't that pretty obvious? Silicone sticks one to the other & fills any gap that a small fish might use to get behind the backing.
Is that what you meant?
Well, I thought that silicone could only properly adhere glass to glass surfaces...?

·
Registered
29 Posts
No mate. Aquarium silicone is wonderful stuff. You can use it for extra stability in large rock piles, sticking rocks & wood to the rear glass for diy backgrounds as well as the glass to glass you mention & for sticking styro backgrounds in place. Works a treat & is easy to use. You just have to have a dry tank for however long the curing time of the brand silicone you use is. :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Silicone should do the trick as long as surface to be adhered is totally dry. If you are to work on a wet surface, Mighty Putty should stick even on wet conditions. They are available on home depots or Lowe's . Not sure about its toxicity though to your precious inhabitants.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all for the advice. I´ll work the tank empty and dry so I can go with the aquarium silicone. Can I also glue driftwood with it? I also have to build an island for a RES and thought about building it with driftwook

I´ll post pics of the work this weekend so you can see how it works...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts