The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very thin scratch on the front glass. The only way you can see it is if you take the versa top off and look at the perfect angle. (The versa top blocks enough of the light - bright light too - 192W - where you can't see the scratch).

I can't tell if it is inside or out and I can't "feel" it with my finger / fingernail.

I did "buff" the area w/ my mag float and it seems to have "lightened" the scratch a bit.

Is it even worth trying to fix? And, if so, is there a way to completely fix / fill it? I have searched this board and found a few posts, but nothing that was clear cut.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The method described doesn't remove scratches. It removes a layer of glass around the scratch to the depth of the scratch. Given the difficulty in seeing this scratch, is it really worth it?
A bit of clear wax might fill the scratch and make it more difficult to see.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
/\ /\ Thank you - that's the plan. I am first going to get a scrap of glass, scratch it, and see how the cerium oxide works. In all the research I have done, the cerium keeps coming up as "the" way to remove / hide small scratches; we'll see. Thanks again for the research and feedback - greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The method described doesn't remove scratches. It removes a layer of glass around the scratch to the depth of the scratch. Given the difficulty in seeing this scratch, is it really worth it?
A bit of clear wax might fill the scratch and make it more difficult to see.
It's not the scratch as much as it is the OCD (lol). The tank has only been up a few weeks - it's just a kick in the **** to have it scratched (even if I have to strain to see it). I am the only one that really knows it's there - that's actually the problem (lol).

I do want to experiment with a sample piece of glass and see how it works. I will likely post pics back to the thread for anybody that wants to know more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts