The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about setting up a five gallon tank for breeding shrimp. would that tank be to small for this purpose? I am looking to breed blue pearl shrimp and crs would that work? I am looking for an alternative to crs just because they are quite common and I wan't something out of the ordinary, any ideas?

·
Shrimpsanity
3,052 Posts
In a small tank your Neos will impede the breeding rate of the bees. They grow much faster, have larger clutches and higher survival rates. They'll out compete the nicer shrimps. I've seen Neos and Bees breed in the same tank, but the tank size are usually much larger resulting in lower hormone levels. The breeding then is still not to the level that it could be. If you really want the Bee shrimps to breed in a small tank...keep the Neos out of there.

Back to your original question....how about OEBT? They are readily available, nice looking and cost effective at $6.00 a pop.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of oebt's! if I had to ship them to somebody would breather bags work? how many adults and juveniles could I have in the tank at a time?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mentioned bps and crs if I could not find an alternative for the crs

·
Registered
700 Posts
Do you plan to house only sexed pairs of shrimps in this tank, or just throw some in and try to get them to breed?

Either way, I would agree with others, either have Caridinas or neos.

Oebt's sound like a good plan. Don't take this offensively, but when you asked "If I had to ship them to somebody, would breather bags work?", I assume you plan on breeding these to sell them (?) IMO, that would be a little too far ahead to consider just yet. Before you can even breed the shrimp, the shrimp have to adjust to their environment and if conditions are right, they will breed. You must also have experience under your belt to successfully raise the babies. It may take multiple times to raise the babies to a good size. If your purpose of breeding is to sell them, I wouldn't recommend working out of a 5 gallon, but something much larger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.