The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stating the obvious to some, so please let me indulge. I move my fish around from 10 gallon to 29g. I have Corys, Otos, female Bettas and Gouramis. All of them behave better in a 29g. My water parameters aside, bigger is better. The type of landscaping is next in importance. The Corys and Otos love wide open spaces and a long run from side to side. Bettas love a jungle of plants from sub to surface to lay against between their galavants. The Gouramis somewhere in-between, seem to love quick starts and stops, parking themselves in caves or behind a leaf. So I have just received a 55gallon and am looking to devote it to corys and the like. I think I will have a corner of thick greenery, maybe anubias(?), and a nice long sandy bottom with some wood. The tank will have the light from a northeast window, and maybe some blue spectrum led (?) for accent. I don't know what color sand yet. Probably whitish. Black sand looks very nice but it isn't in keeping with the 'habitat' type aquarium. I'd love some advise please.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I put pool sand in the 55g. I added the fluval u4 that has been running with bioballs in my 29g for about two months. I also added some cured wood that floats on the top and will eventually sink and help keep ph low for the amazon biotrope I am creating. There are 7 albino Corydoras, and three marlbled Angelfish. It is so nice to have a large aquarium! I think it is good to start out with 10g aquariums and just one or two fish for a short time, but, there is no doubt that 55g and even larger will be the only way to enjoy the hobby without constant worries of water chemistry fluctuations, fish deaths, etc. Hail to the big tanks! This tank will only get a little light from the window, and some blue led stip lighting on top. These fish prefer low light, as well as the plants (Anubias). Love the look of a dark tank. It is very soothing, and these type fish are more active in low light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts