The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m building the Rex external reactor and will be running it using a Fluval 304, which uses the ribbed 5/8” hose. However, I can only find elbows with 1/2” barbs for the inlet and outlet of the reactor. Will the 1/8” difference be critical? I’m of course concerned about leakage. Will it be fine if I build up the 1/2" barb a bit with some Teflon tape and put a clamp over the hose and barb?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I’m building the Rex external reactor and will be running it using a Fluval 304, which uses the ribbed 5/8” hose. However, I can only find elbows with 1/2” barbs for the inlet and outlet of the reactor. Will the 1/8” difference be critical? I’m of course concerned about leakage. Will it be fine if I build up the 1/2" barb a bit with some Teflon tape and put a clamp over the hose and barb?

Thanks in advance.
I don't have experience with the Fluval hose in particular, but if it is somewhat flexible, I would upsize the barb to 3/4" instead of downsize to 1/2". I've had problems with leakage when downsizing (on water cooled computer systems) the fittings. Or you could just order the proper 5/8" fittings online if not available locally ...

·
Registered
766 Posts
I would definitely NOT try what you are talking about in the original post. My experience with Fluval hoses is that they are semi-rigid, not flexible like normal vinyl hoses. I don't think they would compress evenly with a clamp, and would be very prone to leaking. Get the right size fittings.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would definitely NOT try what you are talking about in the original post. My experience with Fluval hoses is that they are semi-rigid, not flexible like normal vinyl hoses. I don't think they would compress evenly with a clamp, and would be very prone to leaking. Get the right size fittings.
The semi-rigid ribbed hose is what I was concerned about. Thanks for the warning. I never liked those Fluval hoses much, I may use this opportunity to switch to vinyl.

I'm going to do a test on a 3/4" barb first as suggested by dipan and see how it goes. And thanks Rex. I may contact you yet if the 3/4" doesn't work out.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
However, I can only find elbows with 1/2” barbs for the inlet and outlet of the reactor.
I had a similar problem with 5/8" not to be found at either of the big box stores. Eventually I found them at a small hardware store. I would also recommend switching to vinyl (where 5/8" in 10' lengths ARE available at the big box hardware stores!)

Flounder:

Your clamp looks risky to me. If you had a hard "plug" inside the gray tubing it might work but this is not an intended use of hose clamps. Use a barbed reducer instead.
Harmony Farm Supply

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.