The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a second batch of fissidens sp. from Malaysia. This time its a lot greener with no soil on the bottom of the black plastic mesh. Instead of putting into one of my inhabited tanks right away ive decided to get a 5.5 tank to grow it in by itself, no substrate, suspended on fishing line between 2 stones to keep them from floating, no filter, 2wpg lighting, with fluval co2, beneficial bacteria, micro/macro nutrients added. any thoughts on how well this will work?

(the first time i tossed the mesh and placed the squares of it on the bottom of one of my fluval edge tanks, high light and nutrients, no co2. so far its turned a bit brown and has sprouted a little, its been there for about a month)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I've read online that some sellers in Asia sell fissidens that aren't suitable for underwater.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I've read all about it, unfortunately after i bought it, this second batch was free because I wrote them about the state it was in when it showed up the first time, clearly had been grown out of water. this second batch looks like a totally different plant, no dirt on it. I'll post a picture and maybe someone can tell me what it is and if its even worth the co2.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i wont buy from this seller anymore. the delivery take atleast 20 days to NY. I have order 3 times, every time just dissapointment with balck mushy plant on the package.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Cleared for ToS reasons.

Anyways, sorry to hear about the fissidens. I stopped buying online awhile ago. Fellow hobbyists are much more reliable.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Aquatic Magic exports plants illegally into the United States.
When you bring the plants in, you can be fined by the federal govt. Has happened to other people before in the hobby.

Purchase from the SnS or vendors, keep things legal. You'd get better portions anyways.
Buy American.

-Gordon

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Ok well I guess I'll be the first one to answer the OP's questions...

It should grow fine since it actually looks alive. It probably wouldn't need CO2 like most mosses but it doesn't hurt and would probably speed things up quite a bit. I think it's Fissidens fontanus or at least it looks like it.

·
Premium Member
1,921 Posts
Aquatic Magic exports plants illegally into the United States.
When you bring the plants in, you can be fined by the federal govt. Has happened to other people before in the hobby.

Purchase from the SnS or vendors, keep things legal. You'd get better portions anyways.
Buy American.

-Gordon
The guy is from Canada btw :hihi:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks cardinal tetra, I have identified it as fontanus since starting this thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts