The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

For the last few months or so, I have been noticing a crazy thing. I bought a piece of driftwood from my LFS when I started this back in April. For a long time I had java fern mounted on it. I also used to have amano shrimp and ottos in this tank. Well, since I moved them out and the ferns off the wood, there is fissidens growing like crazy on it. In a few months it may cover the whole darn thing! I have never had fissidens in this tank, and from where I got my plants (where I work) I have never seen it sold. Can this come out of the wood from a long time ago before it was in my tank? It was dry when I bought it. I'm more inclined to believe it hitchhiked from the plants but I haven't added anything new to this tank in a long time, long before I saw the moss....

Is this a weird occurance? Any ideas? This is pretty cool no matter where it came from, totally unexpected!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Probably hitchhiked with some plants you received, unless the driftwood came from an aquarium tank with plants.
omboocat

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
fissiden have very tiny needle like seeds that could have hitchhiked on the wood or plants, and may stay viable even out of water. you can never know for sure where your plants and wood have been before they were in your tank. just be glad you got a hitchhiker you like, not one deleterious to your tank.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
fissiden have very tiny needle like seeds that could have hitchhiked on the wood or plants, and may stay viable even out of water. you can never know for sure where your plants and wood have been before they were in your tank. just be glad you got a hitchhiker you like, not one deleterious to your tank.
That's my guess,

Some more info.... MOST mosses in our tanks aren't true aquatic mosses they all can grow emmersed or immersed / dry or wet. The fissidens are one of these mosses now, I'm not 100% sure on spelling but they can reproduce A sexually and B sexually one way is cloning theirselves and just growing then being cut up or whatever, the other way is by their "spyrophytes"(spelling is off...) those stocks that come up from mosses sometimes in your tank and also all terrestrial mosses. Those make seeds and the seeds can get all over the tank when that happens so Maybe someone you got plants from (the java fern that was on it?) had the fissidens or fissidens seeds in their tank and somehow it got to yours...

Either way better than a bad hitch hiker!

-Andrew

(I'm pretty sure I explained it correctly, if I messed something up LMK!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts