The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was given some fissidens grandifrons to try from Msjinkzd, she has some in her 150 hillstream and it is amazing! It was a brownish color when put in the tank about 3 weeks ago. It turned upwards towards the light, but still looks to be brown as if I had just put it in the tank. I do have Fissidens Fox growing in the tank. Should the Grandifrons have greened up yet? Is there a long acclimation period until this plant begins to grow? Any information about growth would be helpful!
in a 75 gallon tank with injected CO2, PPS Pro fert, high BML dutch lighting, PH 6.4, KH 2-3, Gh 4-5

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have around 8-10 bps directly into a cerges reactor. I see very fine bubbles coming out of the outflow pipe, I would say 80-90% dissolution. I am trying to give optimum growing conditions for other plants as well. Have read from the little i was able to find that this fissidens needs a lot of CO2, is that incorrect?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
PH - 6.4
GH - 2
KH - 3
PH 6.4, KH 2-3, GH 4-5
I have around 8-10 bps directly into a cerges reactor. I see very fine bubbles coming out of the outflow pipe, I would say 80-90% dissolution. I am trying to give optimum growing conditions for other plants as well. Have read from the little i was able to find that this fissidens needs a lot of CO2, is that incorrect?
How come your GH goes from 2 to 5 degrees in just nine days?

Another thing to note are the little CO2 bubbles coming out of the reactor. It cannot be good. What if you don’t have the predicted 80-90% efficiency? Could the reactor be hooked up wrong or be missing internal components?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had adjusted the GH with a GH booster mix when I did a water change over the weekend. I use RO water with 0 KH and 0 GH, this is why my KH went down and by adding a booster based on Barr's ratios I have upped the GH to "General Fish Levels" - read somewhere that GH is technically neglegable, but normal is 5-8 and also the plants would benefit as well.

I don't believe that I have a problem with the reactor as these bubbles are the size of the dot on an i on your screen. I do have it hooked up to a FX5, so I do have strong flow through my system and the fact that I am putting a lot of co2 into this reactor, it is negligible loss compared to what is going in which may be too much, but like i said earlier im trying to eliminate co2 as a growth prohibitor.

I did have an issue with the reactor in the past, the center tube was not fully connected to the housing and the water wouldn't travel to the bottom of the reactor before leaving the reactor and I would get large bubbles coming out of my return.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I had adjusted the GH with a GH booster mix when I did a water change over the weekend. I use RO water with 0 KH and 0 GH, this is why my KH went down and by adding a booster based on Barr's ratios I have upped the GH to "General Fish Levels" - read somewhere that GH is technically neglegable, but normal is 5-8 and also the plants would benefit as well.
There is a problem. The ratios you are talking about are suitable maybe for garden ponds.

If I understand, you use RO water and have the large granite blocks to buffer pH with KH. Also, if you want to reconstitute the RO water you need to use minerals in the right ratios and concentrations. Going higher than 3 dGH is not necessary. Please see the picture bellow for details. The way this works is to add the recommended quantity per RO water being changed.

Example for your 75 gallon aquarium.
25% water change add 9 grams or 2 tsp
50% water change add 19 grams or 4 tsp

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a problem. The ratios you are talking about are suitable maybe for garden ponds.

If I understand, you use RO water and have the large granite blocks to buffer pH with KH. Also, if you want to reconstitute the RO water you need to use minerals in the right ratios and concentrations. Going higher than 3 dGH is not necessary. Please see the picture bellow for details. The way this works is to add the recommended quantity per RO water being changed.

Example for your 75 gallon aquarium.
25% water change add 9 grams or 2 tsp
50% water change add 19 grams or 4 tsp
Okay see that is where I could not find the right amount to add. I was going by the ratio of 1:3:3 respectively based on the Barr GH booster and I used 6 grams, 18 grams, and 18 grams. I will make the mix and use that for future water changes.

Regardless of my GH levels, what could be the issue with the fissidens that it isn't growing? I've never worked with this one before, and if it was dead wouldn't it be melting away like all other plants do? It still curls up towards the light. Is the GH the problem here?

I would like to thank you for your help and explanations Edward! I greatly appreciate the insight you have given!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Okay see that is where I could not find the right amount to add. I was going by the ratio of 1:3:3 respectively based on the Barr GH booster and I used 6 grams, 18 grams, and 18 grams. I will make the mix and use that for future water changes.
To explain the ratios better please see two attached charts.
There are two problems. One is the enormous amount of K. For illustration, if someone was going to add 6dGH with the first booster, then the K concentration would be 8 times the average tap.
The second problem is the Ca : Mg ratio. Most natural waters are 4 : 1. If you look at the other chart, the ratios differ from 2.4 to 7.

Regardless of my GH levels, what could be the issue with the fissidens that it isn't growing? I've never worked with this one before, and if it was dead wouldn't it be melting away like all other plants do? It still curls up towards the light. Is the GH the problem here?
I would split it and placed one under good light and the other in a shade. There are hundreds of pages describing this plant.

I would like to thank you for your help and explanations Edward! I greatly appreciate the insight you have given!
You are very welcome!

Thank you

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.