The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hike up mt blady last week and collected some fissden grandifrons. This is the second time im trying to grow this. They seem to die when water temperature got too high

anyone got experience?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have been getting a fair amount of new growth coming from the Fissidens grandifrons. It took the better part of a month to start growing, and even then it is very slow relative to other mosses. Most of the old growth turned a darker color, but the new growth started showing up all throughout the fronds with a bright green color.

Here's the conditions I have been growing it in a 20 gallon tank that is only filled with 10 gallons. I have a spraybar that extends across the back wall pointed slightly towards the surface creating highly oxygenated water. The flow rate of the pump is ~250 gph. I do also use pressurized CO2 on the tank. The moss is tied to malaysian driftwood. This is a bare bottom tank that houses bryophytes for the most part.

Parameters of reconstituted RO water using the Aquavitro lineup for everything listed except the micro nutrients.
- GH: 5-6 dH
- KH: 1-2 dH
- Nitrates dosed to ~10 ppm once per week
- Phosphates dosed to ~1 ppm once per week
- 2 ml of flourish comprehensive added once per week
- The temperature has ranged between 68F to 75F depending on the temperature of the house.
- Lighting is 2 23 watt 6500K verilux sprial CFL's in 10" clamp lights hung at the top of the tank.
- TDS: 141 (after everything has been dosed)
- 5 gallons of water changed once per week

This photo shows the new growth pretty well, just ignore the shrimp that is in the way :).
IMG_5027 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.