The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a really interesting little fella from Victor at Aaron's Aquarium in Union and I'm having trouble finding out anything about it. I consider myself to have a relatively good base knowledge of fish, but this one's a conundrum. He skips around like a Goby, feeds like an SAE but doesn't seem to have a true sucker mouth. I figure he's in the Goby line because of his basic finnage, shape and mostly because his pectoral fins are either fused or they can be cupped to make a suction cup like Gobies. I haven't found info on anything even close, his size seems to be the weirdest thing about it. He's about 2" long and most freshwater Gobies I've read up on are MUCH larger except for one Australian one. Unfortunately, the picture shown for that one isn't even close. The best I've been able to come up with is either "Cling-on Goby", something in the Stiphodon genus, maybe even Sicydiinae.

Here he is acclimating in the bag:

And here he is after getting back to his normal color. a little out of focus:

Tommy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think so. I already lookied into them. Darter's don't have the "suction cup" pectoral fins and the mouth and the dorsal fins are wrong for it to be a Darter.

Scroll through & look at the photos in this link to another site: http://www.rainbowfish.info/viewtopic.php?t=276&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

They're all Stiphodons and a couple of them are darn near identical to my pictures.

Tommy

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't see the suction cup pectoral fins but to me the mouth looks right as doo the fins. On that page you linked to the species Stiphodon atratus is the best match. I think its a goby. That was the first genus I looked under but couldn't find a match, then I switched to darters. The only two fish I can think of that have the double rounded dorsal fins and the foot like pectorals.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't see the suction cup pectoral fins but to me the mouth looks right as doo the fins. On that page you linked to the species Stiphodon atratus is the best match. I think its a goby. That was the first genus I looked under but couldn't find a match, then I switched to darters. The only two fish I can think of that have the double rounded dorsal fins and the foot like pectorals.
Fishymatty-

Look closely at the very first picture I posted of it in the bag. The suction cup is relatively clear. I agree on Stiphodon. It's either S. atratus or S. elegans. Most likely a female atratus. I'm almost postive after a LOT of side-by-side photo comparisons. Definitely in the Gobidae family and not a Darter. I just hope Victor can get more, possibly a male, so I can make it a little more happy. It's just too intersting of a personality to not have. Since they're grazers and they're only about 1 1/2"- 2", I might put them into the shrimp tank.:icon_idea

Tommy

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have to agree Tommy. It is definitely a Goby of some kind, the "suction-cup fin" is a dead give away on that. I'm not great on my Goby species so I'm not sure exactly what it is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts