The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One tube in my 2-tube T5HO fixture stopped working. I have no idea when. It is on a 29g that undergoes a ton of change.
Is there any way to fix this? If not, what is usually the recommended course?

-Keep on using one tube, but over a 20g tank...
-change ballast...(not vrey good with electrical circuits, but if T5HO fixtures are like 2*T12 fixtures from walmart, there might be hope.

BTW, I bought this slightly used from a fellow hobbyist, so I don't have the original purchase docs...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Which fixture is this? External ballast or internal?

One thing to look for is to make sure that the endcaps are not swapped. On one end swap the endcaps from one bulb to the other to make sure you haven't crossed them. But typically if this happens both bulbs should fail.

You can also make sure all the connections inside the light are correct and nothing came loose.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
This happened with one of my 24" fishneedit fixtures (internal ballast, aka old model). Only one bulb socket worked.

Took it to a lighting repair store, said it would be more expensive to fix than to just buy a new one. The lights are cheap enough that that would probably be the best option.

Fishneedit lighting fixtures are iffy products imo. Might be better off getting a different brand.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas...
I found out after I posted, that the old model (which is what I have) uses two ballasts, as alan and AFK mentioned. So, I think I'll order another ballast from them, along with some spare tubes to justify the shipping...:)
JD, I did check the bulbs. Both work on one set of endcaps, but not on the other. However, I haven't taken the reflector out yet to take a look at the wiring inside.

Anybody has any tips on how easy or hard it is to replace a ballast on these fixtures?

·
Registered
767 Posts
if you've never played with electrical before, then i would suggest finding a friend who has experience with elecrical.
and if one ballst is shot you better believe the other is on its way.
plus fishneedit fixtures are not that pricey. so when you do the math of 2 ballast and bulbs w/ shipping im sure a new lamp from them would be well worth it.

im just trying to help, sorry if i can off rude.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm not sure on the type they use in that fixture but if its the 3AAA brand they have push connect easy fittings. Push the button and pull out the wire, and vice versa for replacing. Most ballasts now have the wiring diagram on the ballast, and since your only dealing with six wires it shouldn't be all that difficult. If not just label the wires or as you remove a wire replace it on the new ballast.. Two wires are going to be your hot and nuetral for the power supply (black and white - one will typically go to the switch.) Two to one side of the bulb (typically same color for both wires), and the last two to the other side of the bulb (typically another color for both wires).

If you get confused just post a pic of the ballast and you can be walked through replacement pretty easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.