The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me more about the fishneedit pendant mounting legs? It's hard to find a good picture showing scale, where I can see how high off the tank the pendant will sit. I know each pendant comes with the hanging kit and the legs, and I know in many people's reviews of these pendants, they say the legs are ugly and crappy, and they use the hanging kits instead. But most people agree that they are at least sturdy.

I just can't find any pictures or dimensions or anything though. How high off the top of the glass will these things sit if mounted on the back of the tank instead of hung? And are these legs sturdy enough to hold the fixture? I want to hang a pair of 70 watters over my 45g, but the ceiling is too high for hanging, and I'm trying to avoid going the L brackets and wall anchors route.

·
295 Posts
yeah, the legs are ugly and crappy IME.
I use the hangers. You could use bent pipe over the tank and hang from that?
they are sturdy and adjustable (more or less). Dont like em.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ You are the BEST!! That's exactly what I wanted. While they really aren't the prettiest things in the world, I wouldn't necessarily call them ugly. Can you tell me if you have any reason to believe that they would have trouble holding the weight of the fixture?

I can't add any DIY light bars or anything just yet. The tank is already setup and and running. Eventually I will be moving to another place, with lower ceilings, and I'll be suspending the pendants from the ceiling. So until then, I just need a workaround.

These pics have convinced me that these are the lights I'm getting!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh one more thing, I noticed your light has 4 legs, and the description at fishneedit says it comes with 2 legs, which gave me the impression it just clamps on the back and comes out over the tank.

Did yours come with 4 legs, or did you add those other 2?

·
295 Posts
they should hold the fixture with no problem.
I think most people call them ugly because they are so big black and bulky.

I see that in the description (2 legs) but I'm pretty sure mine all came with 4 legs and 2 hangers per pendant. I have 4 sets of legs if you ever need extra.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
At least those don't look like they'd break if you touched the fixture. The Current legs are far from sturdy.

SteveU

·
Registered
24 Posts
wow, these are exactly what i have been looking for. looks like the will fit in my space perfectly, and for pretty much dirt cheap.

a 150w for only $140!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts