The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone I'm starting a journal on a normal 10 gallon tank that I removed the trim from. It will have 6 cardinal tetras and 10 Red Cherry Shrimp in it. My plan is to make it look like a mini island and the background will be a jungle. I'm not sure on what plants i will use yet. For the lighting it will be a 36 watt ah supply kit and once i switch to pressurized co2 it will have a 2 x 36 watt ah supply kit on it. For the pressurized co2 it might be a paintball type system or maybe a 5 Lb Co2 tank. For the substrate it will be gravel that looks like sand in the front and in the back there will be ADA AS Amazonia Btw I know they might get mixed up but i don't mind. Well lets hear your suggestions on what plants i should use and etc:) I Would show you a picture but currently uploading the photo won't work

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i guess nobody will comment me till i get pics lol :) You will all have to wait but atleast give me some plant suggestions

·
Registered
40 Posts
well i guess nobody will comment me till i get pics lol :) You will all have to wait but atleast give me some plant suggestions
dude go w/ some dwarf hairgrass, xmas moss, HC, HM..... since u want it as a mini island
make ur background black... gives u more depth

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
uh oh i painted it white already :| heres a little sketch i made :)
The Anubias nana is going to be where the Dark Green is

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You need more space for plants, less space in the foreground. Remember that no matter what size the tank, plants need a certain amount of space to grow so in a small tank especially you have to plan carefully to make sure you give it enough room to grow into and eventually fill in a nice way.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm thats a great point Steven :) my sketch makes it seem like it takes up most of the space but in reality it won't but how much ada Aqua Soil Would i need ? i ordered only a 3l bag so far but i think i might need more.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
That glass is soooo thin. With no rims, aren't you worried about 10 gallons of water on the floor?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes i am but 10 gallons doesn't put much pressure on the glass right ? If someone has proof that its a bad idea i will go with a normal 10 gallon tank :) I leak tested it in my tub then left if on my desk for 1 day and right now i'm emptying it and putting it on styrofoam.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Not trying to make you nervous or anything, or in anyway be a "negative nancy", but that would scare the hell out of me. Especially since I have wood floors.

10 gallon glass tanks aren't exactly made to last. They use the thinnest glass possible, sloppy silicone, and use the rims for additional support. I would not have taken the rims off.

Once again, I stress that I haven't done this before, and I don't know what will happen. I have no experience in this. But it would make me nervous.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Why not save for an ADA tank? I have one and I just ordered another, they are gorgeous and totally safe.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks james i will still keep this journal going but i want to sell the fish that are currently in there except the cardinal since i will be adding 5 more of them. I'm still thinking about going with a larger tank but larger tanks = more cash to setup. The light i might be using for the tank is Lights of America Fluorex Fluorescent Flood Light

·
Registered
325 Posts
i setup a 10 gallon recently and i wish i would have done it with a larger tank. don't get me wrong i love my 10 gallon bu if i could do it again i would do a larger tank. i figure it would have cost me and extra 50 bucks to setup a 20 gallon. but that's why everyone is here, live and learn =] i like the idea of your tank though should be sweet good luck!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts