The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon that i am thinking about taking the fish out of and putting them in my other tank. I just want to keep all my plants the same and maybe add some shrimp. I plan on dosing things just the same as i do now, juts minus the bioload. Main reason is i want to see the difference between this and a tank with a larger bioload and i would have more control over my ferts mainly nitrate and phosphate. My question is are there any differnces when trying to do a fishless tanks? Anything at all? I know you can go a little high with the co2 unless i decided to add shrimp. Also would i be able to still use my canister filter with shrimp? I know some people use sponge filters i am not sure if i would have a problem with them getting sucked up. So if anyone has any suggestions no matter how small please share them with me. Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
I don't think there would be any differences between your tank now and making it fishless. You may need to increase your nitrate and phosphate dosages, depending on how much your bioload is contributing to those currently.

I believe you can still use a canister filter even with shrimp. If you are really worried about them getting sucked up, you can put a sponge (or some kind of pre-screen) in front of the filter intake.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i did plan on increasing nitrate and the po4 since the fish will no longer be providing those. I did think about adding the sponge over the intake, but i wasnt sure if it would effect the filter any guess i can always take it off if it does. Another question i have is to do with the nitrgen cycle. The tank is already cycled would taking all the fish out effect the tank in anyway bc of the bacteria and what not.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
Taking out the fish would mean there would be a reduced bioload for the bacteria as well. To compensate, their populations would shrink. Other than that, there pretty much would be no other effect.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a sponge over my filter in take to keep shrimp and fry out of my various eheim canisters. I haven't had any issues. I know Eheim also sells a pre-filter, but I haven't tried one of those yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts