The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up a new 26 gallon tank and used Amazonia Light for the substrate along with power sand and the supplement packs (Bacter 100, etc). The tank cycled and I now have plants in it. Everything seems to be going well so far. I'm injecting CO2 and I've been supplementing with Seachem liquid nitrogen (half a cap twice per week) and Seachem Flourish twice per week. Plant growth is good and algae thus far. I'd like to add some mystery snails and Amano shrimp in the next week or so. My question is, since there has been no ammonia source in the tank, so I need to force a mini-cycle before introducing livestock?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. I'm running an Aqueon Quiet Flow 300 canister.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Good deal. I'd recommend testing your filtration. Add a pinch of fish food and test your water a day or so later. If you get an ammonia spike then you need to mini cycle, if not I'd just add the snails first because they will make it easier to build up bb without risking the ammonia/ nitrate damage to the shrimp if the snails set off another cycle, they honestly shouldn't but I'm a weird and I'd be going crazy worrying about the shrimp- the snails can more easily recover from bad parameters than the shrimp, so that's how I'd do it. I'd be interested in hearing how others would handle it as I've never dealt with shrimp before.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
...My question is, since there has been no ammonia source in the tank, so I need to force a mini-cycle before introducing livestock?
You had a large ammonia source (the aquasoil) If your tank is cycled than slowly add livestock and keep up with regular water changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts