The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to set up a new 10-gallon planted tank. I got the substrate and water added and then added Fritz zyme "fish fuel" in an attempt to get the cycle started (at the suggestion of my LFS). Right now I'm sitting at under 2ppm ammonia (added it last night). I also stuck in some driftwood, a rock, anubias, java fern, and micro sword from my old tank. I also added a little bit of gravel from my old tank.

Suddenly I'm worried that the fish fuel was a mistake and that I should have just added a bunch of plants to let it cycle. And after some googling I'm starting to think that the fish fuel won't speed anything up. Anyone have any experience with this method? Think those plants will survive that amount of ammonia? I'm thinking of starting over with the water.

·
Registered
48 Posts
plants love ammonia, it'll be ok. i did the same as you except i used ammonia from the hardware store, it's hardcore, hurt my nose! i didnt realize a bunch of scuds were on the plants. neither were harmed my the ammonia

·
Registered
107 Posts
All the plants you've listed are relatively hardy and so you shouldnt have too many issues. However with some more challenging/delicate plants, it's recommended to get the tank a bit more balanced before adding them

·
Registered
95 Posts
As others said, everything will be fine.

Where did you hear that low concentrations of ammonia is hard on plants???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As others said, everything will be fine.

Where did you hear that low concentrations of ammonia is hard on plants???

I didn't hear it anywhere. I'm pretty new to all of this, so I just didn't know if that was even considered low concentration. Learning here 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
95 Posts
I didn't hear it anywhere. I'm pretty new to all of this, so I just didn't know if that was even considered low concentration. Learning here
Ammonia is literally THE fuel (hence “fishless fuel”) that drives the nitrogen cycle in your tank.

Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate (-> and maybe further breakdown to Nitrogen or removal by plants).

The only other way to introduce ammonia to the system is with fish; the problem here is that you won’t have fully developed BB ecosystem and will basically be poisoning the fish while the BB develop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Trying to set up a new 10-gallon planted tank. I got the substrate and water added and then added Fritz zyme "fish fuel" in an attempt to get the cycle started (at the suggestion of my LFS). Right now I'm sitting at under 2ppm ammonia (added it last night). I also stuck in some driftwood, a rock, anubias, java fern, and micro sword from my old tank. I also added a little bit of gravel from my old tank.

Suddenly I'm worried that the fish fuel was a mistake and that I should have just added a bunch of plants to let it cycle. And after some googling I'm starting to think that the fish fuel won't speed anything up. Anyone have any experience with this method? Think those plants will survive that amount of ammonia? I'm thinking of starting over with the water.
just for your own knowledge; Ammonia is a Nitrogen compound, and plants utilize this. The main neutral hydride of nitrogen is ammonia (NH3), plants use up the ammonia as thier food through roots and stems and then produce oxygen.
here is a cool video on how fast just a few plants and duckweed can change ammonia levels

1 - 9 of 9 Posts