The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on this topic and there were conflicting ideas from posts many years back.
One said to not add plants in a fishless cycle because they can stall the cycle or make it take longer and you run the risk of killing the plants because of the high ammonia levels.
Another said that plants help the tank cycle faster because they themselves have Bacteria on them and help keep the balance of ammonia and nitrites where they need to be to cycle fast.
Any other thoughts on this? My tank is so boring, if I could get plants while it cycles I'd be pretty happy.
Pic of my boring tank, cause pics make every post better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just did it on my 40b and had no problems. Are you adding ammonia to cycle? While its possible the plants will use some of the ammonia, it shouldnt matter as long as you're monitoring ammonia levels and replenshing as it drops. This will ensure the beneficial bacteria continues to grows despite the plants using some.

Cycling is a boring process and adding plants and messing with the scape is a good way to pass the time. It also gives the plants a chance to establish before adding fish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just did a fishless cycle in a 29 gallon and put my plants in immediately. I kept my ammonia between 2-3 ppm with Dr. Tims ammonia drops and the plants did wonderful the entire cycle but it did take about 7 1/2 weeks to cycle...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.. it did take about 7 1/2 weeks to cycle...
Ugh. Mine will probably be similar, and that'll be 7 more weeks of every person asking why there isn't any fish in the tank.

Start planting and don't worry, looks like you use aquasoil and it should be leaching some ammonia too.
Its Brightwell substrate, which to my knowledge doesn't leach ammonia.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have been just planting straight away (fully planted) and never even check the cycle anymore. Fertilize your plants and they will thrive so that when you do add your first group of fish into the tank, the tank doesn’t even notice. Depending on your planting, the ammonia should be a drop in the bucket for them. After that I will add a small group of fish every couple weeks depending on stocking goals. After 6 months or so your tank should be pretty well seasoned and be able to handle changes easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts