The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Everyone

Im curious, after a fishless cycle is completed, do you have to keep feeding the tank with ammonia to keep the bacteria alive?

How long will the bacteria remain active?

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Some will begin to die off within day's. Can feed the tank a pinch of fish food every other day.
Fishless cycling is said to produce fairly robust bacterial colony, but it need's food, or it will die back to amount that can be supported by food available to it.
Can always half dose the ammonia until the day before you are getting fish, assuming the ammonia is reading ZERO after 12 hours ,and then perform large water change to lower nitrates which should be fairly high day before fishes are added.IMHO
Don't HAVE to stock the tank to it's capacity immediately .

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
When the cycle is complete, do a big water change. If you had to add any minerals to grow the bacteria, I would add them again. Continue feeding the bacteria just like it is still growing. When you are ready to add fish or shrimp do a big water change to remove accumulating nitrate. At this time you can also alter the water parameters to suit the fish.
If it is a planted tank, and the plants do not much like the ammonia, then add enough ammonia to bring the level to 1 ppm, but do this twice a day. If the plants are OK with it, then add enough ammonia to test 3 ppm, once a day.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the support everyone,

I'm starting the process tonight, the tank has been running for two days, would I have to use something that detoxifies tap water and gets rid of chlorine and chloramines ?

Has anyone used Dr. Tim one and only with Prime?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts