The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, this is my first ever post on any forum... Ever. So I apologise if I've not done it properly! Secondly, I've been roaming this site for the last few weeks non stop and I've learnt pretty much everything I know about fish keeping from this forum so thanks to all of you!

Now, to my problem. I'm planning to get about 8-10 Celestial Pearl Danios (galaxy rasboras) for my new fluval edge 46l (12g) and I'm going to do a fishless cycle. My LFS said that once the cycle has finished I should buy half of the fish (4-5) first and get the other half (4-5) a week later. This lets the bacteria "build up".... I really don't get this though. This sounds like I'm starting a fishless cycle and then doing a fish-in cycle with the second group of fish. :icon_frow

So... Is it safe to introduce all of the fish as one group, provided that my tank has been fully cycled? I feel that it would be better for the fish if I introduced them to the tank as a nicely sized school (reducing stress etc).

Thanks in advance,

Radiation91.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Welcome to TPT!!

If you do a fish less cycle, you should be able to add your full stock at the same time. I highly recommend still checking your water parameters every few days after you stock the fish.

Good luck on your new set up!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Deeda :icon_mrgr that's exactly what I wanted to hear!

And rest assured, I'll be checking water levels daily until I get into the swing of things :icon_bigg

One additional question:

once the tank is cycled I should be able increase the ammonia level to 3ppm and within 24 hours it should all be converted to nitrates... then the tank is ready for some fish. Does 3ppm sound right? Or does it need to be higher/lower? I want it to be high enough to prepare for the fish but I have a planted tank and don't want to burn the plants by adding too much ammonia. :icon_lol:

What ppm would you choose for 10 CPDs?

Thanks again!

Radiation91

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_51/fishless-cycling-article.htm
I always find this page very helpful for fishless cycling especially for dosing pure ammonia since it includes converters and calculators. I use Ace hardware store janitor strength ammonia as a pure safe ammonia that has no additives that will effect the bacteria or future fish and plants.
I always dose and test ammonia to keep it at 3ppm when cycling (as ammonia starts doing down, add what's needed to keep it constant). I test then add then check/repeat 24 hours later, when the cycle is nearly done I check every 12 hours (when it's 0 ammonia and nitrite in half a day I call it good). That said API test kits don't have a color chat for 3 ppm but 2 and 4 which look like the same color so I wait for it to test at 1 ppm and dose back up to 3ppm.
Once your tank is fully cycled and nitrates reduced with a water change you can put your full stock in. Using Seachem Prime as a dechlorinator and ammonia/nitrite binder is very useful. It binds existing and newly made ammonia (poo food exhaling) for 48 hours from dose time (bottle states how much to dose for this). During this time beneficial bacteria and plants can still absorb it, but it won't harm fish.
I'm currently setting up a quarantine tank that's almost cycled (0ppm ammonia and nitrite in 24 hours but not in 12 hours yet). Will be 5-6th tank cycled this way.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I agree with everything that was said. I have recently become a big fan of microbacter. I would add this product into your cycle. It will speed up the process, and help keep parameters more stable when you add fish.

Bump:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.