The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I've been here a few times before, posting about amano shrimp and sunset hygros. I've had quite a few aquariums before I figured out what I wanted from a planted tank. That being said, though the learning curve was/is a bit steep, I decided to attempt a 40B and it's still a work in progress.

For now, here is the equipment list:

40B Aquarium,
Ehiem 2213 (covered intake)
Two heaters (going to be replaced come next weekend)
Lights: DIY LED system filled with reds blues and cool/warm whites. It runs for seven hours daily.
Note: initially the lighting was very purple in old pics, an additional strand of white led's were added to cut through it and they fixed the problem.
Substrate is fluval stratum and crushed root tabs

Fauna:
Three ottos
Three Celestial Pearl Danios
Three Cardinal Tetras
Three Mosquito Rasboras

Shrimp:
Red Cherry shrimp - mixed grade, mostly fire reds, too many to count
10 CRS mixed grades
2 Blue Bolts
and Mischlings/Tibees courtesy of Aznrice247

I initially had 13 CPDs and 14 Cardinal Tetras, but due to a disease and lack of quarantine, my populations were decimated. The post documenting such can be seen here. The CPDs didn't diminish until a week later, and they, too, died once a day. It was the most peculiar and disheartening event to bear witness to, but things stopped dying around the 23rd, so it seems to have stabilized again. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/21-fish/1016185-cardinal-tetras-dying-56k-warning.html

That, thus far, has been the only catastrophe to strike my aquarium.

The only maintenance I've done on this aquarium is trimming biweekly and cleaning the filter every four to sixth months. It's been running for about a year (maybe a little more, it sat with nothing but water and the substrate in it for a month or so before I did anything with it.

I do not run ferts or CO2, but I am finally witnessing stunted plant-growth so I will start those shortly.

But first, a walk down memory lane and initial startup~

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
And now for some progression photos, they go in chronological order. I apologize for the photo quality, as I do not own a fancy camera.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.