The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just setup my 125 gallon with a 45 gallon sump a few weeks back.

This guy has 2 bala Sharks one at 6 inches and the other at almost 9, one Irredescent shark at 8 inches and two blue gouramis about 5 inches.

He sold his 55 gallon to my buddy, myself and him are going to tear the tank down, and Im taking the fish as the tank is too small for them.

My question is what other fish can I add if any at all? I know the irredescent shark will out grow my tank, I already have a LFS with a 1,200 gallon system that is taking it.

Are the gouramis going to be a good choice to keep in the long run?

I have always liked Ghost Knife's. What other fish if any can I add to the 125, Or what would you add?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
The Bala sharks also will outgrow this tank, they can reach about a foot, and really should be kept in schools. They're beautiful fish, but another fish that IMO really shouldn't be sold in the hobby as often as they are b/c of their eventual size.

The Ghost Knife would be OK in a 55gal tank with tankmates large enough it couldn't eat them. But if you put it in the 125 you'll have to be very careful what else to stock along with it.

This would just leave the blue gourami for the 125gal, correct? If that's the case, you'd have plenty of room for other fish. I'd go with one or two fairly large schools of tetras, barbs, or similar schoolers, plus some bottom-dwellers.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What type of tetras would be suited to go with the Gouramis? Its been along time since I had Gouramis, I know they can get somewhat aggressive.

Yes that would leave just the gouramis in the 125.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd be surprised if they'd have issues with any tetras, as long as the tetras don't nip at them... so I probably wouldn't go with Serpae, Red phantoms, Blue or Silver Tips, but just about every other tetra I can think of would work.

I'm actually hoping to set up a 125 myself some time this year, and if I can, it will be stocked with Congo tetras and Boesmani rainbows. And probably some Synodontis. :smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts