The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Rubberlip plecos. Never had one get bigger than 3 inches, they eat algae constantly, and are totally peaceful. Only get one, otherwise you'll be stuck with feeding them extra stuff like cucumber.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ottos would be good, Or a Ruber liped Pleco, im looking into a pleco, ive never like the looks of ottos, but they are great little Algea eaters, or you could go with snails, i find Nerites eat a good deal of Algea, but they do leave nasty little eggs everywhere that wont hatch

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Corydoras are great fish but they don't eat algae, sorry. Snails also eat film type algae, the kind that is forming on your tank surfaces. No critter is going to do all the work for you though. Get more plants into the tank and get them growing well then maybe the glass algae will stop being such a nuisance.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Otos feel much safer (and presumably less stressed) when they are in groups. I would get 2-3 more just to keep them feeling more secure. But make sure you keep an eye on them because they are such great algae eaters they don't leave any algae for later (aka they eat all of it and then starve). I use Hikari's algae wafers as a supplement.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I was just going to say the same thing. Throw a bit of peeled cucumber in there and it'll graze on that and get some meat back on its bones. Just stick the cucumber in the gravel so it stays on the bottom and the oto will eat off of it for a few days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.