The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basic short version - German Blue Rams are turning black after being without power for 8 days. I turned on the air pump and temp and increased it slowly over the course of the day. Several hours between each temp increase.
Lights on full CO2 (plants peraling like crazy)
Did a large 30% + waterchange
Planning on adding Seachem Prime, Purigen and Stability
thoughts?
I just bought Seachem Prime, Purigen and Stability from Amazon. My power has been out for 8 days, and I am afraid that my bacteria died. My current temp of the tank was 59 degrees (lost 2x Rummynose Tetras and 1x Clown loach). I am afraid of losing my other fishes, but I am very shocked that my Rams are still alive, and I hope they will make it through this Hurricane Sandy. I love those buggers.

I am planning on cleaning out my two canister (do a giant 50% water change tonight) then do another water syphon and rinse out the sponges and media with the new tank water.

The power came on this morning around 820ish, and I have set the temp of the tank around 72-75 degrees (last night). I do not want to increase it to 82 degrees, because I do not want to shock the fish. I am hoping tonight that the temp of the tank increased to 72 degrees so I can start my water changes... The only other thing I have running on there is the lights on full, and a bubble wall near the water surface (I hope that will aggitate the water).

I will get the Seachem Prime, Purigen and Stability - on today and I plan adding it to the tank. I have used live bacteria; do I just add the Seachem Stability to the tank or the filter? The live bacteria, I was told to add to the filter.

I assume the Purigen, I put in a media bag and drop it into one of my filters. And Prime, I can use as a declorinater.

I really want to bring my ammonia levels down fast, and not worry about it. So I spent the extra money on this...

What are you thoughts about this route?

I might have made some rookie mistakes, but i want to ask this before I begin any work on my tank tonight. So I am prepared, if you have read this and/or made a comment. I appreciate it, and thank you!

Update after cleaning
I just used the basic media that came with the Eheim's. Last night I took some fresh water/declorinater and ran it through the eheim filter 2215. It smelt like sewage when I drained it... so i ran fresh water through it until the water looked cleared. Then I took some of the tank water, and ran it through the filter once, and drained it, stopped the intake valve (the bottom one) and filled it up with tank water.

Then I set it up, at first the brown muk that was in the canister started to come out (smelled up the room). I didn't add the filter until had the tank almost filed, I started up the filter. Did a 5 gallon water change near the output of filter.

I did not read Jerry's post until this morning, and sort of wish I did. I trust his judgment on an idle canister. I didn't start both of them, just the one with the CO2.

So I dropped the PH down, and turned on all the lights really bright. I really want to get this tank started.

When I go home tonight, I am going to do another 30% water change. The Rummynose tetras are barely red, and the German Rams turned a darker color (i have noticed when the waters are not pristine they will turn this way)

I checked on them this morning and they look a little bit better, but still stressed. Over the past 24 hours the tank went from 60-65 (let it sit for about 4 hours, then I dropped it up to 70.... Then started doing my water changes about 4 hours after it hit 70, after water change I increased it to 75 and let it sit over night. This morning, I increased it to 79 degrees.

I am hoping this will get my fishes all active, and hopefully clean.

Tomorrow, I have carbon pads, Seachem Prime, Purigen and Stability. I hope to add Stability (3x types of live bacteria which is prominently used in the UK) to my 2215, and tomorrow I will clean out the 2217 and let it air out for a day or so and then add it back to the system with adding Stability.

I am going to Add prime to remove some of the ammonia in the water. To bring down my ammonia - it was slightly high yesterday and after the water change it went down. I hope with another water change it will help my fish out.

and Purigen to clean up the system a little bit more.... I really want this tank 100%. I am just worry that a slight amount of hydrogen sulfide will kill my fish. This happens when an idle canister tank has bacteria that die and it releases hydrogen sulfide.

Noticed my German Blue Rams turned black after all my water changes and swam toward the top of the water, I decided to turn off the lights and checked on them this morning. They are at the bottom (except for the electric blue ram which is acting normal)

·
Registered
307 Posts
German Blue Rams, once established, can be real hardy. But the temperature was really low for them during that one week period. They may recover, but you'll have to do things slowly. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yes, do things slowly, whatever you do. Like bringing up the temp. I've had too many fish die because of quick re-acclamation.

·
Registered
745 Posts
i would be careful before cleaning out your canisters right now. I would fear loosing more of the beneficial bacteria. If you need to I am in hoboken and can give you some media out of my aquaclears or renas to help seed your tank.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would be careful before cleaning out your canisters right now. I would fear loosing more of the beneficial bacteria. If you need to I am in hoboken and can give you some media out of my aquaclears or renas to help seed your tank.
oooo that sounds great! I will private message you now.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
No need to worry about losing the good bacteria in the canister at this point. The reason it smells is because they are DEAD!
Don't dump the dead water in the tank!
At this point the bacteria is dead so cleaning the filter is the right thing to do. Then using seeded media is really, really good. When moving the media from his house to yours, keep it moderately warm and keep it wet. Treat it like you are moving fish!
Over the next couple weeks, test for ammonia as there is likely to be a spike coming. With seeded media, you may avoid it but watch for one anyway. Have some product or plan in mind to deal with a spike, I like Ammo-chips or Ammo-carb as it is cheap and easy plus stores well. When in doubt, I add a bag full where water will pass through like in a filter output.
Slow temperature rise, control ammonia and doing some daily 25% water changes is likely to get you by. You've survived the crisis, now just don't get blindsided by small stuff.
Best of luck and I do feel the pain. What doesn't kill us will make us tougher for the next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts