The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of people use the word fishes on here, and I am just wondering if they know they are using the word wrong.
The plural for fish is fish unless you are referring to multiple species, and then fishes is also allowed.
I.E. "The Amazon has many diverse fishes," although the sentence still sounds more correct if you just say "...diverse fish."
If you are referring to a group of one species, the plural is always fish.
I.E. "I caught a bunch of salmon today," said bob, "wow that sure is a bunch of fish!" Exclaimed Joe.
or. "I just don't know what to do with all these fish!"
or. "All of my fish have ich"
or. "Look how many fish are in this small pond!"
It is similiar to Deer, Elk, etc, although those animals words came from Native American, I'm not sure that fish did. Although I cannot find the origin of the word fish as it pertains to actual fish.

Don't wanna sound rude or anything, just letting you guys know, in case you didn't already! :D

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I see a lot of people use the word fishes on here, and I am just wondering if they know they are using the word wrong.
The plural for fish is fish unless you are referring to multiple species, and then fishes is also allowed.
I.E. "The Amazon has many diverse fishes," although the sentence still sounds more correct if you just say "...diverse fish."
I.E. "I caught a bunch of salmon today," said bob, "wow that sure is a bunch of fish!" Exclaimed Joe.
It is similiar to Deer, Elk, etc, although those animals words came from Native American, I'm not sure that fish did. Although I cannot find the origin of the word fish as it pertains to actual fish.

Don't wanna sound rude or anything, just letting you guys know, in case you didn't already! :D
lol.... I'm sure most of the people on here know.... I personally use fishies... because it sounds nice... There's alot of words English speakers use wrong. The current two in my area are stoled... "You stoled it from me!!"... I haven't really bothered to tell anyone that word means you are wearing a stole. And irregardless, which is a correct word. But people keep using it when they should be using regardless. And this is a problem everywhere I go. "She did really good!!" "He did so good on his test." I start twitching, and normally end up being the ass that corrects people in public... WELL!! WELL!! SHE DID REALLY WELL!!! Not that I don't make my own mistakes. I do... I just wish I wasn't the only child in my area who's punishment was copying the dictionary.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
fish is singular... it is also plural for several of the same species of fish.

Fishes is plural and refers to more than one species of fish.

But this is far more relaxed than it used to be.
Woot!!! The more you know!!!
Exciting... Thats not in any of the dictionaries in my house... of course my mom took all the nice dictionaries because, "she needed them".

·
Prodigious Plant Pundit
5,403 Posts
fish is singular... it is also plural for several of the same species of fish.

Fishes is plural and refers to more than one species of fish.

But this is far more relaxed than it used to be.
Yep. 20 Neon tetra fish, 40 Neon and Cardinal fishes.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol.... I'm sure most of the people on here know.... I personally use fishies... because it sounds nice... There's alot of words English speakers use wrong. The current two in my area are stoled... "You stoled it from me!!"... I haven't really bothered to tell anyone that word means you are wearing a stole. And irregardless, which is a correct word. But people keep using it when they should be using regardless. And this is a problem everywhere I go. "She did really good!!" "He did so good on his test." I start twitching, and normally end up being the ass that corrects people in public... WELL!! WELL!! SHE DID REALLY WELL!!! Not that I don't make my own mistakes. I do... I just wish I wasn't the only child in my area who's punishment was copying the dictionary.
Exactly.. Just remember this phrase.
Superman did good, you do well.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
For the most part I could care less about using proper grammar on a forum.

I'm usually writing posts in a hurry and don't always catch things that are wrong. If I notice something after the fact I will correct it but usually only if it impacts the meaning of the post.

·
Registered
537 Posts
For the most part I could care less about using proper grammar on a forum.

I'm usually writing posts in a hurry and don't always catch things that are wrong. If I notice something after the fact I will correct it but usually only if it impacts the meaning of the post.

I'm with you :wink:

Best wishes,
Wes

You go with your bad self!
we be jammin!!!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If you are bothered by grammar on an internet forum you're gonna have an aneurysm. I've learned to be bothered only slightly by rampant misspelling and grammatical faux-pas. For me, myself, I always proofread before i post. Like it or not, people will weigh your opinion (and their* perception of your intelligence) by what your grammar and spelling is like.

EDIT:* = Another one of those big pet peeves are the their/there/they're mistakes. Toss to/too/two in their :hihi: as well, and you've got a literary carpet-bomb

·
Banned
532 Posts

See: Fish or Fishes

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I don't mind an occasional mistake since it doesn't really matter. I've been a regular fish-board poster since Compuserve's Fishnet in the mid 90's. I'd be embarrassed if I consistently posted in a manner that made people wonder if I was old enough to start school. lol

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess its just for me I grew up being told fish was plural and singular, I didn't even know about fishes till this forum and I thought everyone must've been really young or something, but then I looked it up.
Grammar doesn't really bother me, I use comma splices like mad.
Spelling I don't care about at all because its usually just an accident.
IdISlike WheN peOplE TyPE lyke THIs though.
or use numbers and stuff like ur and eva.
But I agree with fresh.salty, if your posts are consistently so bad that people assume your not in middleschool yet then thats not good.
At the same time, in life we will need to be able to compose proper sentences and paragraphs, so there is really no reason to have two ways of typing.
Build good habits and it will come naturally, then essays in college won't be as annoying.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I read this thread earlier today and chuckled quite a bit. I guess there is a grammar nazi in everyone.... hehe

Search PlantedTank for "preventative" once.

That one always gets me, but this is just a fun message board where people go to hang out, not be corrected :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.