The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I think it's ok to carry the species as long as you check out the buyer. I would say that the majority of people who own rays know what they are doing, and yet rays are pretty hard to keep, in terms of equipment. It just depends on what people perceive the fish to be. People look at rays and think wow, big expensive fish, better leave it to experts. People see tinfoil barbs and think, how cute, I will put a couple in a 10 gallon tank.

I think it would be a good middle ground if you didn't regularly stock them, but maybe kept one or two in a big display tank. Oscars are pretty neat fish.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I agree that as long as you stock some as display only to show how big they get people would notice and get the point. also I've watched people feed Oscars feeder fish and it wasn't pretty

·
Registered
100 Posts
the only one that can beat these is the arapaima gigas [reach 5 meters in natural habitat, and IS the largest freahwater fish]

Fixed the Arowana. I knew that pic was a little fishy... Any other large fish people have seen in their LFS??

-Dinosaur Eel, Senegal Bichir Polypterus senegalus(or other bichir species) over 16"
and this isnt polypterus senegalus [they only reach 9"], its ornatipinis, a ornate bichir, which is large for the polypterus genus [~18"] got one 10" but it jumped and my dog chew only her head off. ..

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I know what you mean... now there's 2 snakehead species loose in the US. The Northern snakehead has reached most of the way along the east coast, and into Illinois. Now there's populations of Giant snakeheads in Florida... only time will tell how far they will spread. Below: giant snakehead

It's illegal to have any snakehead... but the giant got loose becuase it outgrew someone's tank and they let it go. The northern snake was let loose in one of the east cost states becuase the guy wanted it for a food source.. now it's causing havoc. I've even seen clown loaches and cory catfish let loose in my town's creek! They die over winter of course, but if something gets loose that can survive, we're screwed! It's not just the fish themselves that are problems it's the diseases they carry...anyone heard of VHS? It's destroying our fisheries, and it hasn't even spread yet! Thanks for listening to me vent.
I used to have a friend that had two snakeheads. He kept them in a 180 gallon tank each.

They are the only fish that I have ever seen that appear to kill for sport. These things are vicious and formidable. They would absolutely wreak havoc in the wild. I could easily see a small number of them annihilating trout, bass, sunfish, etc. in an American body of water.

On another note, I have seen pictures of people catching arowanas here in Georgia. One guy on Lake Lanier (about 45 minutes north of Atlanta) caught one last year that was about 3 feet.

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/reports/108373.htm

People have got to stop releasing these things in the wild. The negative impact won’t be felt until it is too late.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Oscars have got to be one of, if not the most miskept fish species.
They are extremely popular and nearly every fish store keeps them.
Beginners come and see these guys and think they're another dwarf cichlid until it grow over a foot long.

I made a mistake like this when I first started out.

My second tank was a 30 gallon with a single oscar. He lived in there for 6 or 8 months before I finally realized- what am I doing!

He lives in my 75 gallon now, I provide very frequent water changes and excellent filtration. He's nearly 14 years old now, and staying strong!

·
snails are your friend
3,088 Posts
My issue with oscars is even people who know they get large either think they won't grow that large in a smaller tank, or that it will take them years to outgrow their tank. They grow FAST, and they suffer from poor water quality in ways that novices won't notice. I only have room for a few display tanks in my space. I really don't see taking up a whole 125 just to put a big oscar in as a "warning."

·
Registered
200 Posts
The bonsai kitten site was actually created by a couple of MIT students several years ago (it was a huge topic of debate in one of my high school biology classes). And the second picture of the arapaima that was posted by bra_van_drakh is actually a Wel's catfish, they're found in Europe, that one was caught in Italy.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I used to have a friend that had two snakeheads. He kept them in a 180 gallon tank each.

They are the only fish that I have ever seen that appear to kill for sport. These things are vicious and formidable. They would absolutely wreak havoc in the wild. I could easily see a small number of them annihilating trout, bass, sunfish, etc. in an American body of water.

On another note, I have seen pictures of people catching arowanas here in Georgia. One guy on Lake Lanier (about 45 minutes north of Atlanta) caught one last year that was about 3 feet.

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/reports/108373.htm

People have got to stop releasing these things in the wild. The negative impact won’t be felt until it is too late.
They need to release some asian arowanas so that we can start keeping them :)

I'm kidding, of course. It's pretty hard to get people to stop releasing stuff like this in the wild. I remember hearing stories about people releasing tons of exotic fish in a stream near a zoo, and some people who wanted p-bass would just cast off the side.

Snakeheads are pretty vicious. I have seen one pulled out of the water, gutted, in a bucket, only to flop out of the boat and swim away. There are, however, many species of Channa that are really quite gorgeous, and it is a shame that they are not allowed. It's the only way, but I'm sure they will still find their way here, just as piranha find their way to aquariums in states that don't allow them.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
:thumbsup:

Excellent post!

Holy cow, I have NEVER seen a clown loach like that! I've seen big ones, but that one makes the term "morbidly obese" like an understatment!!! :icon_eek:
Stop by boardroom sometime. Rich usually has a few like that in the big planted entrance tank that usually holds rainbows. My jaw dropped last week, looking at one of the new ones... MONSTER LOACH!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Farther north in Ft. myers, on the back corner of the road where olive garden is (12795 Kenwood Lane). Make a left there and drive straight back, big angelfish painted in the window. Don't expect more than a small family owned type place, they're good people though and have lots of dedicated customers. Some killer huge pieces of driftwood as well, an entire bin of it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
that clown loach is huge. the biggest i've seen was only about half that size. how old is that thing? mine are already 5 years old and is like the size if its' tail!

oh yea and the tin foil pic isn't that great to show size. i've seen some HUGE ONES in petshops. those are the sizes that they sell at the asian markets :p

half of the popular plecos should be on here. I have some right now that are around 8 inches and still have a long ways to grow. the common sail fin pleco is one that outgrows a tank easily too. i sadly lost mine at around 14 inches. beautiful specimen for a cheap pleco but be ready to feed and grow those guys.

and i know this seems weird but i think angelfish should be put on there as well. i know they dont' grow THAT big but people tend to buy them and put them in 10 gallon or 5 gallon tanks way too often. angels need at least a 60 or maybe a 40 tall or something. they love the height and way too often i see huge angelfish in small tanks.

many people think that fish will only grow as big as the tank they are given. however, that is not true. some fish like the pacu will continue to grow (given good water conditions) reguardless of how big the tank is. scientists did an experiement where they take salmon and put them in a small tank with clean water coming in at all times. the salmon grown in the tank grew until they looked like sardines. i think some fish like the common goldfish will grow less or very slowly if given a small tank. however goldfish are the exception not the rule.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
They need to release some asian arowanas so that we can start keeping them :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the one I linked to was eaten by a Georgia fisherman. They could probably release arowanas (or whatever) and it would wind up on dinner plates down here. LOL :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
big chain petstores dont care about how big they get, as long as they're making money they'll keep selling them.
sad but true. but like everyone else said they should have like a picture of the fish and growth charts so everyone knows how big and how fast they can grow. clown loaches imho can be kept in the normal aquarium. they grow so slowly that the person is more likely to kill it due to some other reason WAAAAAY before it can reach that size. and plus if it ever reaches a size too big for the tank i'm sure the lfs will gladly take it back. other fish like the redtail catfish and arowana should not be kept in most tanks due how fast they can grow. an aro can outgrow a 60 in about 6 months and same for a red tail cat.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.