The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
There are many aquarium fish that people impulse buy because they're cute, or they don't know how big they can actually get. Here's a list of some of those giants. Feel free to add to the list. Research before you buy!
-Arowana Osteoglossum bicirrhosum >4ft.
That is NOT an Arowana. It is a Arapaima and it is a baby one at that.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Yeah, definitely not an arowana. I actually saw one for sale once. I hope the guy had a large pond.

·
snails are your friend
3,088 Posts
I made the mistake of buying a red snakehead several years back. I was experienced with big cichlids, I figured I could manage it. I kept it for a little over two years, it got not only huge, but splashed water everywhere, broke glass tops, and was a menace to my household. After keeping it in a tank with plywood and cinder blocks on top for long enough to give up, I gave it to a buddy who had made a large tank. He called me back after another year or two begging me to find it a home or he was going to have to put it in the freezer. I doubted that would kill it.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My lfs sells arowanas. Some are only 4", and we have some bigger ones nearly 2'. Even though the big ones are right next to the small ones, people assume theya re a completely different species and then get mad when they find out their cute little arro is now a foot long and ate all the fish in the tank.

By the way, here's a good pic of an oscar, the fish people most often buy that ends up growing out of their tank. I see kids walk out with a 10 gallon tank and a baby oscar in a bag. Poor oscars.

Really big fish, the arapaima-

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
My lfs sells arowanas. Some are only 4", and we have some bigger ones nearly 2'. Even though the big ones are right next to the small ones, people assume theya re a completely different species and then get mad when they find out their cute little arro is now a foot long and ate all the fish in the tank.

By the way, here's a good pic of an oscar, the fish people most often buy that ends up growing out of their tank. I see kids walk out with a 10 gallon tank and a baby oscar in a bag. Poor oscars.

Really big fish, the arapaima-

Oh my geez!

·
Registered
450 Posts
The Dallas World Aquarium has several giant arapaimas. I think they are actually endangered and are definetly illegal to keep as pets in Texas because they can survive the winter.

·
Registered
481 Posts

Hydrocynus Vittatus - Tigerfish. Up to 30"

Hydrolycus Armatus - Sabertooth. Up to 36"

I know someone who has both of these (a school of 5 Tigerfish and a Sabertooth) in a 150. They are still relatively small (not yet 1 foot). He is getting his 900 gallon set up for them and we are wondering if even that will be big enough.

I'd love to have a tank full of Frontosas but I don't have space for a 6 foot tank as they can grow up to 1 foot long.

-Charlie

·
Registered
26 Posts
These fish can grow to be larger than people realise and pet shops should advertise this when selling.

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
Peacock Bass and Tiger Shovelnose couple buddies went flyfishing is South America.

·
snails are your friend
3,088 Posts
These fish can grow to be larger than people realise and pet shops should advertise this when selling.
IMO, pet shops shouldn't order these species at all. I'm opening a LFS soon, and won't even carry oscars except by demand, and oscars are small (relatively speaking). My problem with Astronatus is that too many live in 20 gallons until they die of hole-in-the-head or simply foul conditions. Every aspect of the pet hobby has these animals people aren't prepared to care for the course of their life, whether it's Burmese pythons, pot-bellied pigs, green iguanas, or pacu.

·
snails are your friend
3,088 Posts
Why not oscars? They only need 55 gallons...there are many many more fish that grow to large...
Most people haven't seen a 16 inch oscar, I'm guessing! They get MUCH bigger than most folks have laid eyes on. I've seen many breeder size fish that couldn't easily turn around in a 55 (12 inch wide tank). One oscar can live some two years in a 55, but it will get hole in the head, bacterial infections, lateral line disease, or worse without huge regular water changes. They might can live in a tank that size, but they "need" much, much larger.

Edit, just re-read and apologies if that came off rude. I just feel certain that single full-grown oscar needs a 90-125 gallon tank, minimum.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.