The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are many aquarium fish that people impulse buy because they're cute, or they don't know how big they can actually get. Here's a list of some of those giants. Feel free to add to the list. Research before you buy!

-Plecos Many species grow to more than 12", up to 20"

-Iridescent Shark Pangasius hypophthalmus up to 3'

-Red-tailed catfish Phractocephalus hemioliopterus Over 100 lbs.

-Pacus Colossoma sp At least 40 lbs.

-Clown loach Botia macracanthus 16"

-Kissing gourami Helostoma temminckii 12"

-Tinfoil barb Barbonymus schwanenfeldii 13"

-Chinese algae eater Gyrinocheilus aymonieri 11"
No pic yet... find one!

-Clown Knife Notopterus Chitala Approaching 3'

-Black Ghost Knife Apteronotus albifrons 20" The one on the right...

-Chinese high-fin shark Myxocyprinus asiaticus Over 3'

-Giant Gourami Osphronemus goramy 28"

-Arowana Osteoglossum bicirrhosum >4ft.

-Dinosaur Eel, Bichir Polypterus spp. Check which one, some over 16"

-Peacock Bass Chichla spp. around 15 lbs

-Tiger Shovelnose Pseudoplatystoma Fasciatum around 3’

-Oscar Astronotus ocellatus 14”

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I think people should see some pics of these fish in action.

Edit: Nevermind, didn't load the first time for some reason.

·
snails are your friend
3,088 Posts
I'm not getting the Chinese algae eater or black ghost knife pictures. Is everyone else?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I am very glad you posted pictures of these popular fish. So many people buy them when they are small and don't realize how big they get.
I just saw another article of someone that released big tropical fish into a lake. I hate that!
We are also starting to see our foreign plants in our lakes and water ways. Wow how we change our world...........

·
snails are your friend
3,088 Posts
I'll ask again. Are all the pictures showing up for everyone else? I've tried in Firefox and IE, and don't see the black ghost knife or Chinese algae eater.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I see all the pic's.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I couldn't find good pics of large black ghost or chinese algae eaters... they really didn't show the size, so there's no pics right now. The problem with chinese algae eaters is that as they get bigger, they feed of the the slime coat of fish as well :eek5: . It's good for turtle shells though... keep 'em sparkling clean and free of parasites!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am very glad you posted pictures of these popular fish. So many people buy them when they are small and don't realize how big they get.
I just saw another article of someone that released big tropical fish into a lake. I hate that!
We are also starting to see our foreign plants in our lakes and water ways. Wow how we change our world...........
I know what you mean... now there's 2 snakehead species loose in the US. The Northern snakehead has reached most of the way along the east coast, and into Illinois. Now there's populations of Giant snakeheads in Florida... only time will tell how far they will spread. Below: giant snakehead

It's illegal to have any snakehead... but the giant got loose becuase it outgrew someone's tank and they let it go. The northern snake was let loose in one of the east cost states becuase the guy wanted it for a food source.. now it's causing havoc. I've even seen clown loaches and cory catfish let loose in my town's creek! They die over winter of course, but if something gets loose that can survive, we're screwed! It's not just the fish themselves that are problems it's the diseases they carry...anyone heard of VHS? It's destroying our fisheries, and it hasn't even spread yet! Thanks for listening to me vent.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
That's a gorgeous fish above!

BTW, there is a "monster fish rescue" that can be found on google, so if anyone reading this needs to rehome a big fish, or has room to give one a good home, check it out!!

And for general interest, there is a Monster Fish Keepers website (forums, classifieds, etc)

You might want to post a pic of a big Arowana since some LFS sell them 5-6". They are so slender at that size/age that they don't LOOK like a big fish..

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.