The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 34 gallon, some snails hitchhiked in on plants and started laying eggs everywhere. I have 4 killifish, Fundulopanchax gardneri 'Innidere', in the tank, which are all adult. The females are maybe 1.5" and the males are maybe 2.5".

I'd prefer something that isn't evil, so something that won't eat killifish eggs or fry. Does that exist or is there no fish that is nice and only eats snails?

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
A few dwarf chain loaches might work. Y. Sidthimunki

They may also eat fry, though; i had some in with my old Betta simplex tank and stopped getting surviving babies after i added the loaches. Might also have been the other bettas, not sure.

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
Clown loaches eat snails to extinction. Not sure how they would react to baby fish though.

Yo-yo loaches and horse faced loaches apparently also eat snails though I can't personally verify this since I've only just bought 2 yo-yos and I haven't had them long enough yet to tell how they compare to clowns.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Dwarf puffer can eat any snail, but its not always considered community friendly, though they are tiny they have a lot of spunk and will peck at larger fish (or any fish) and might try to eat fry if they are tiny enough (they are micro predators after-all). 1 assassin snail should be fine, but if you get more than one you'll be trading one snail colony for another.
Honestly pond/bladder snails are not bad, they do not eat healthy plants, only decaying plant mater, leftover food, they also munch some algae (albeit slower than catfish and shrimp). If you don't over feed your tank and keep up with siphoning out excess with water changes their populations should not explore to any unsightly proportions.
I have them in every planted tank and don't try to kill them (though its easy enough their shells are fragile and will break if you push them against the glass *squish*) and even have a bin with driftwood soaking that I have been growing a colony of them (tossing in veggie leftovers from my pleco's tank).

·
Registered
357 Posts
Assassin snails are the best choice. Khulis won't eat snails to my knowledge. It's never a good idea to buy loaches, or any fish, for the sole purpose of eradicating snails. You could also treat the tank with flubendazole.

917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dwarf puffer can eat any snail, but its not always considered community friendly, though they are tiny they have a lot of spunk and will peck at larger fish (or any fish) and might try to eat fry if they are tiny enough (they are micro predators after-all). 1 assassin snail should be fine, but if you get more than one you'll be trading one snail colony for another.
Honestly pond/bladder snails are not bad, they do not eat healthy plants, only decaying plant mater, leftover food, they also munch some algae (albeit slower than catfish and shrimp). If you don't over feed your tank and keep up with siphoning out excess with water changes their populations should not explore to any unsightly proportions.
I have them in every planted tank and don't try to kill them (though its easy enough their shells are fragile and will break if you push them against the glass *squish*) and even have a bin with driftwood soaking that I have been growing a colony of them (tossing in veggie leftovers from my pleco's tank).
That's a really good point, I may just let the snails be and take out excess. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.