The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into my shrimp tank today and I saw 2 hydras. How would I get rid of them? I would not like to use
Chemicals unless I have to. Is there a fish that can eat them but won't eat shrimp babies? And how did they get there in the first place?

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts

I want to try Planaria Zero, but nobody in my city carries it (stock for fish meds in general is very low right now). In my 10g they only show up on the front glass, as far as I can tell. I just use a razor blade to scrape them off the glass. They stay away as long as I don't overfeed. I think mine came in from some floaters I bought from a local guy on Kijiji.

I don't think there's a fish that will eat hydras but not shrimplets. However, snails will eat hydras according to that link.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Pretty much any fish that would eat Hydra will eat your shrimp fry.

Planaria Zero works really good, but it is hard on Nerite snails if you have any. You'd need to move them to another tank and then not put them back for a few months, after some major water changes. I got it on Amazon.

Reactions: greenguppy

·
Registered
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." Gandalf: Lord of the Rings
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone had experience with snails eating hydra? My ramshorn snails seem to try to avoid them. But maybe I got cowardly snails.....

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Last I heard, it was bladder snails (Physa sp.) that ate hydra. Basically, if the fish can "peck" at the glass, it seems to me that the fish might be well suited to eat hydra (sparkling gouramis, mollies, etc.). However, if the fish is large enough to eat hydra, then it's probably large enough to eat shrimplets.

I know you don't want to dose "chemicals", but do want to leave the following link in case it gets too hard. Since I'm going to be feeding heavily, I've decided to just preemptively treat for snails and hydra anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.